This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We investigated the change of visual fields in 40 patients with primary or secondary glaucoma. No limitations were placed on the type of angular glaucoma (ie, open or closed). The intraocular pressure of the patients had been controlled at <20 mm Hg for 2 years before the study, and patients with normal-tension glaucoma also were included. We evaluated the effect of 48 months of treatment with bifemelane hydrochloride, 150 mg/d in three divided doses, on 20 patients with glaucoma. The control group included 20 glaucoma patients whose intraocular pressure had been controlled at <20 mm Hg for 2 years before the study by the instillation or oral administration of an intraocular hypotensive agent. They had not received any oral agent, such as a cerebral circulation metabolism activator. Results showed that the visual field was improved in 14 (70%) of 20 patients who received bifemelane hydrochloride, whereas the visual field was improved in 4 (20%) of 20 patients in the control group. More patients in the bifemelane hydrochloride group had improved visual fields than in the control group; differences between groups were significant. In addition, an evaluation of the visual field with the use of the Kosaki and Inoue classification showed improvement in all patients in stages IIa to V. We conclude that this drug is useful for maintaining and improving the disturbed visual field of patients in whom the intraocular pressure can be maintained at <20 mm Hg and in patients who can tolerate 150 mg/d in three separate doses.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The role of norepinephrine, acetylcholine and histamine in lipid peroxidation—induced ischemic brain edema—protective effects of bifemelane hydrochloride on ischemic brain edema.Jpn Pharmacol Ther. 1988; 16: 3111-3121
- Effects of bifemelane hydrochloride (MCI-2016) on acetylcholine and norepinephrine release from cortical slices of bilaterally carotid-artery—ligated mongolian gerbils.Jpn J Pharmacol. 1985; 36: 406-409
- Comparison of the effects of bifemelane hydrochloride, idebenone and indeloxazine hydrochloride on ischemia-induced depletion of brain acetylcholine levels in gerbils.Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1988; 61: 285-288
- Comparison of the effects of bifemelane hydrochloride, idebenone and indeloxazine hydrochloride on ischemia-induced changes in brain monoamines and their metabolites in gerbils.J Neural Transm Gen Sect. 1992; 88: 187-198
- Effects of bifemelane hydrochloride on loss of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor and muscarinic cholinergic receptor binding in the gerbil hippocampus after transient ischemia.Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1992; 315: 16-21
- Comparison of the effects of bifemelane hydrochloride and indeloxazine hydrochloride on scopolamine hydrobromide— induced impairment in radial maze performance.Clin Ther. 1988; 10: 704-711
- Effects of bifemelane hydrochloride on various cholinergic markers in cortical and subcortical regions of aged rats.Jpn J Pharmacol. 1989; 51: 211-218
- Effects of bifemelane on discrimination learning of serotonergic-dysfunction rats.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1990; 42: 721-731
- Axoplasmic flow during chronic experimental glaucoma.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1978; 17: 838-846
- Rapid axonal transport in the primate optic nerve: Distribution of pressure-induced interruption.Arch Ophthalmol. 1981; 99: 650-654
- A new classification of stages of chronic glaucomas.Acta Soc Ophthalmol Jpn. 1972; 76: 1258-1267
- The Essentials of Perimetry, Static and Kinetic. Oxford University Press, London1972 2nd ed.
- The effects of E-0687 on the regional cerebral blood flow in the chronic patients of ischemic cerebrovascular diseases.Jpn J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1985; 16: 565-575
- Effects of bifemelane hydrochloride on clinical symptoms and neurotransmitters in the cerebrospinal fluid in patients with dementia of the Alzheimer type.Neurolog Ther. 1991; 8: 433-438
- The pharmacokinetics of bifemelane hydrochloride (the 1st report): Comparison of pharmacokinetics in the young and the elderly.Jpn J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1991; 22: 737-743
- Acetylcholine synthesis by displaced amacrine cells.Science. 1980; 210: 435-437
- Muscarinic antagonists block cone to horizontal cell transmission in the turtle retina.Nature. 1977; 268: 257-259
- Transmitter candidates in the retina.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1981; 2: 244-247
- The neuronal dopaminergic system of the retina.in: Horn AS Korf J Westerink BHC The Neurobiology of Dopamine. Academic Press, New York1979: 475-490
- Bifemelane in the treatment of central retinal artery or vein obstruction.Clin Ther. 1990; 12: 230-235
- Neuroactive molecules—recent advances and future prospects.in: Drance SM Buskirk EMV Neufeld AH Pharmacology of Glaucoma. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1992: 211-230
- Do ocular vasospasms help cause low-tension glaucoma?.Doc Ophthalmol Proc Ser. 1987; 49: 397-399
- The effect of the Ca2+-antagonist on the visual field in low-tension glaucoma.Graefe's Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 1989; 227: 408-412
- Neuroretinal rim area in low tension glaucoma: Effect of nifedipine and acetazolamide compared to no treatment.Acta Ophthalmol. 1991; 69: 293-298
- Calcium channel blockers in the management of low-tension and open-angle glaucoma.Am J Ophthalmol. 1993; 115: 608-613
- The effects of brovincamine fumarate in low-tension glaucoma.Ganka Rinshou Ihou. 1991; 85 (In Japanese): 53-57
- Medical treatment for normal-tension glaucoma.Jpn J Clin Ophthalmol. 1994; 48: 1645-1650
- Double-blind study in the treatment of normal-tension glaucoma with naftidrofuryl.Ophthalmologica. 1990; 201: 145-151
- The efficacy of methylcobalamin against low-tension glaucoma.Folia Ophthalmol Jpn. 1988; 39: 750-756
- Effect of long-term treatment of glaucoma with vitamin B12.Glaucoma. 1992; 14: 167-170
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.