Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
US Food and Drug Administration. Drug Applications for Over-the-Counter (OTC) Drugs. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/types-applications/drug-applications-over-counter-otc-drugs Accessed 9 June 2022.
US Food and Drug Administration. Fact Sheet: FDA at a Glance. https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/fda-basics/fact-sheet-fda-glance Accessed 9 June 2022.
US Food and Drug Administration. Drug Interactions: What You Should Know. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resources-you-drugs/drug-interactions-what-you-should-know Accessed 9 June 2022.
- Medication Misadventures I: Adverse Drug Reactions.in: Malone PM Malone MJ Park SK Drug Information: A Guide for Pharmacists, 6e. McGraw-Hill Education, New York, NY2018
US Department of Health and Human Services: National Action Plan for ADE Prevention. https://health.gov/our-work/national-health-initiatives/health-care-quality/adverse-drug-events/national-ade-action-plan Accessed 9 June 2022.
- Cost of prescription drug-related morbidity and mortality.Ann Pharmacother. 2018; 52: 829-837
- Transformational strategies for optimizing use of medications and related therapies through us pharmacists and pharmacies: findings from a national study.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2022; 62: 450-460
Brown K: Cost of Wrong Drugs and Doses. https://www.mercer.us/our-thinking/healthcare/cost-of-wrong-drugs-and-doses.html#:∼:text=%E2%80%9CNon%2Doptimized%20medication%20therapy%E2%80%9D,that%20cause%20secondary%20health%20issues (2018). Accessed 9 June 2022.
- Errors in health care: a leading cause of death and injury. To err is human: building a safer health system.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2000
- What is the epidemiology of medication errors, error-related adverse events and risk factors for errors in adults managed in community care contexts? A systematic review of the international literature.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e019101
- Two decades since to err is human: progress, but still a "chasm.JAMA. 2020; 324: 2489-2490
Peter G. Peterson Foundation. Why are Americans Paying More for Healthcare? https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2022/02/why-are-americans-paying-more-for-healthcare (2022). Accessed 9 June 2022.
Munger MA, Turgeon J, Pace WD. Why we need a modern act to prevent harm from medications. https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/3260179-why-we-need-a-modern-act-to-prevent-harm-from-medications/(2022). Accessed 9 June 2022.
The Lown Institute. Medication Overload: America's Other Drug Problem. https://lowninstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/medication-overload-lown-web.pdf (2019). Accessed 7 January 2023.
The Lown Institute: Eliminating Medication Overload: A National Action Plan. https://lowninstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/lown-eliminating-medication-overload-web.pdf (2020). Accessed 9 June 2022.
GTMR Institute. Get the Medications Right: A Blueprint for Change. https://gtmr.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/GTMR-Blueprint-FINAL-WEB.pdf Accessed 9 June 2022.
- Potentially high-risk medication categories and unplanned hospitalizations: a case–time–control study.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 41035
- Clinical guidelines: potential benefits, limitations, and harms of clinical guidelines.BMJ. 1999; 318: 527-530
- What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 230
Deodhar M, Al Rihani SB, Arwood MJ, et al. Mechanisms of CYP450 Inhibition: Understanding Drug-Drug Interactions Due to Mechanism-Based Inhibition in Clinical Practice. Pharmaceutics. 2020;12(9):846. Published 2020 Sep 4. doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics12090846.
- Nirmatrelvir plus ritonavir: first approval.Drugs. 2022; 82: 585-591
- Drug-metabolizing enzymes: mechanisms and functions.Curr Drug Metab. 2000; 1: 107-132
- . 2022; (Metoprolol Pathway, Pharmacokinetics) (Accessed 10 June)
PharmGKB. Codeine and Morphine Pathway, Pharmacokinetics. https://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA146123006 Accessed 10 June 2022.
PharmGKB. Clopidogrel Pathway, Pharmacokinetics. https://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA154424674 Accessed 10 June 2022.
- Drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, the blood-brain barrier, and central nervous system drug discovery.NeuroRx. 2005; 2: 554-571
- Drug Metabolism. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing Copyright © 2022.StatPearls Publishing LLC, 2022
- An illustrative case of phenoconversion due to multi-drug interactions.Clin Case Rep J. 2020; 1: 1-6
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Medication Therapy Management. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/MTM (2022). Accessed 9 June 2022.
- Health outcomes from an innovative enhanced medication therapy management model.Am J Manag Care. 2021; 27 (S300-s8)
- Medication-related problems identified by pharmacists in an enhanced medication therapy management model.Am J Manag Care. 2021; 27: S292-S2S9
- Clinical consequences of polypharmacy in elderly.Expert opinion on drug safety. 2014; 13: 57-65
- The dangers of polypharmacy in elderly patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1544
- Pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and safety evaluation of an accelerated dose titration regimen of sotalol in healthy middle-aged subjects.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1999; 66: 91-99
- Association of a novel medication risk score with adverse drug events and other pertinent outcomes among participants of the programs of all-inclusive care for the elderly.Pharmacy (Basel, Switzerland). 2020; 8: 87
- Application of a novel medication-related risk stratification strategy to a self-funded employer population.Benefits Quarterly. 2018; 34: 49-55
- Longitudinal association of a medication risk score with mortality among ambulatory patients acquired through electronic health record data.J Patient Safety. 2021; 17: 249-255
- Association of the MedWise Risk Score with health care outcomes.Am J Manag Care. 2021; 27: S280-SS91
- Clinical importance of testing for clopidogrel resistance in patients undergoing carotid artery stenting—a systematic review.Ann Transl Med. 2021; 9: 1211
- Using pharmacokinetics and pharmacogenetics to optimize psychiatric treatments: a systematic review.Farm Hosp. 2021; 45: 84-93
- Applications of CYP450 testing in the clinical setting.Mol Diagn Ther. 2013; 17: 165-184
- Implementation of a standardized medication therapy management plus approach within primary care.J Am Board Fam Med. 2017; 30: 701-714
- Addressing phenoconversion: the Achilles' heel of personalized medicine.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 79: 222-240
Shuren J. Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., J.D., director of the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health and Janet Woodcock, M.D., director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research on agency's warning to consumers about genetic tests that claim to predict patients’ responses to specific medications. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/jeffrey-shuren-md-jd-director-fdas-center-devices-and-radiological-health-and-janet-woodcock-md (2018). Accessed 10 June 2022.
US Food and Drug Administration. Direct-to-Consumer Tests. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics/direct-consumer-tests Accessed 10 June 2022.
- Opioid response in an individual with altered cytochrome P450 2D6 activity: implications of a pharmacogenomics case.Clin Case Rep J. 2020; 1: 1-4
- Pharmacist-led medication evaluation considering pharmacogenomics and drug-induced phenoconversion in the treatment of multiple comorbidities: a case report.Medicina (Kaunas). 2021; : 57
- Contribution of CYP2D6 functional activity to oxycodone efficacy in pain management: genetic polymorphisms, phenoconversion, and tissue-selective metabolism.Pharmaceutics. 2021; : 13
- Illustrative and historic cases of phenoconversion.Am J Transl Res. 2021; 13: 13328-13335
- Chronic inflammatory status observed in patients with type 2 diabetes induces modulation of cytochrome P450 expression and activity.Int J Molecul Sci. 2021; 22: 4967
World Health Organization. What Is Pharmacovigilance? https://www.who.int/teams/regulation-prequalification/regulation-and-safety/pharmacovigilance Accessed 10 June 2022.
- Pharmacovigilance: an active surveillance system to proactively identify risks for adverse events.Popul Health Manag. 2013; 16: 147-149
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. People with Certain Medical Conditions; https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html (2022). Accessed 17 January 2023.
- ACMT Position Statement: Off-Label Prescribing during COVID-19 Pandemic.J Med Toxicol. 2020; 16: 342-345https://doi.org/10.1007/s13181-020-00784-6
- Risk of adverse drug events following the virtual addition of COVID-19 repurposed drugs to drug regimens of frail older adults with polypharmacy.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 2591
- Adverse drug event risk assessment by the virtual addition of COVID-19 repurposed drugs to Medicare and commercially insured patients’ drug regimens: a drug safety simulation study.Clin Transl Sci. 2021; 14: 1799-1809
- Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine for prevention and treatment of COVID-19.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021; CD013587
US Food and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Podcast. FDA cautions against use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for COVID-19 outside of the hospital setting or a clinical trial due to risk of heart rhythm problems; https://www.fda.gov/drugs/fda-drug-safety-podcasts/fda-cautions-against-use-hydroxychloroquine-or-chloroquine-covid-19-outside-hospital-setting-or (2022).Accessed 17 January 2023.