- •Pregabalin as a first-line therapy for peripheral neuropathic pain.
- •Lyrica Capsule administered as 2 doses per day (150-600 mg/day).
- •GLA5PR GLARS-NF1 Tab. (150 mg and 300 mg) as an extended-release pregabalin formulation for once-daily intake.
- •The effectiveness and safety of GLA5PR GLARS-NF1 Tab. for peripheral neuropathic pain.
- •Once-daily administration, treatment effect by improved treatment compliance.
This study compared the efficacy and safety of controlled-release pregabalin (GLA5PR GLARS-NF1 tablets) with those of an immediate-release pregabalin capsule after 12 weeks' administration to patients with peripheral neuropathic pain.
In this multicenter, randomized, double-blind, active-controlled, parallel-group, Phase III study, the primary outcome was to confirm that a single treatment with the study drug (after the evening meal) is clinically noninferior to the control drug (BID regimen) at improving the mean Daily Pain Rating Scale score for treating peripheral neuropathic pain. Secondary outcomes were the Daily Sleep Interference Scale, Medical Outcomes Study Sleep Scale, Hospital Anxiety and Depression scale, and frequency of rescue medication use. The safety and tolerability of GLA5PR GLARS-NF1 tablets were also evaluated. The total daily dose of pregabalin is 150–600 mg.
Of the 352 randomized subjects, 261 (n = 130, study group; n = 131, control group) were analyzed. The difference in adjusted mean Daily Pain Rating Scale scores between the groups was −0.11 (95% confidence interval, −0.05 to 0.30), indicating that the study group is noninferior to the control group. There was no statistically significant difference in Daily Sleep Interference Scale, Medical Outcomes Study Sleep Scale, and Hospital Anxiety and Depression scale scores between the groups at treatment termination. Logistic regression analysis revealed no significant difference in the use of rescue medication between the groups (P = 0.217). The overall adverse event profile of the groups was similar, and no serious adverse drug reactions were observed.
GLA5PR GLARS-NF1 tablets can be effectively and safely administered to patients with peripheral neuropathic pain. Furthermore, we found that sleep, anxiety, and depression were improved with pain control. Owing to the once-daily administration, treatment effects can be maximized by improved treatment compliance. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT03221907.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- IASP Taxonomy. Pain Terms.Neuropathic pain, 2017https://www.iasp-pain.org/terminology?navItemNumber=576#NeuropathicpainDate accessed: May 6, 2020
- The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: chronic neuropathic pain.Pain. 2019; 160: 53-59
- A review of chronic pain impact on patients, their social environment and the health care system.J Pain Res. 2016; 9: 457-467
- A review of the epidemiology of painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia, and less commonly studied neuropathic pain conditions.Pain Pract. 2008; 8: 45-56
- Advances in the treatment of neuropathic pain.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016; 904: 117-129
- Clinical guideline (CG173). Neuropathic pain in adults: pharmacological management in non-specialist settings.https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg173Date: 2013Date accessed: July 1, 2020
- A review of neuropathic pain: from guidelines to clinical practice.Pain Ther. 2017; 6: 35-42
- Update in the pharmacological treatment of neuropathic pain.Semergen. 2019; 45: 535-545
- Evidence-based guideline: treatment of painful diabetic neuropathy: report of the American academy of neurology, the American association of neuromuscular and electrodiagnostic medicine, and the American academy of physical medicine and rehabilitation.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1758-1765
- Pregabalin is increasingly prescribed for neuropathic pain, generalised anxiety disorder and epilepsy but many patients discontinue treatment.Int J Clin Pract. 2014; 68: 104-110
- Pregabalin in neuropathic pain: evidences and possible mechanisms.Curr neuropharmacology. 2014; 12: 44-56
- Pregabalin for neuropathic pain in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 1: CD007076
- The efficacy of pregabalin for acute pain control in herpetic neuralgia patients: a meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96e9167
- Pregabalin in patients with painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy using an NSAID for other pain conditions: a double-blind crossover study.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 203-210
- Neuropathic pain.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017; 3: 17002
- Comparative pharmacokinetics of a controlled-release pregabalin tablet (GLA5PR GLARS-NF1) and an immediate-release pregabalin capsule in healthy male volunteers.Clin Ther. 2018; 40: 2112-2124
- Dose-proportional pharmacokinetic properties of GLA5PR GLARS-NF1 controlled-release pregabalin in healthy Korean volunteers: a randomized, open, single-dose, parallel study.Drug Des Devel Ther. 2018; 12: 3449-3457
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.JAMA. 2013; 310: 2191-2194
- Neuropathic pain syndromes.in: 2nd ed. The Design of Analgesic Clinical Trials Advances in Pain Research and Therapy. vol. 18. Raven Press, Ltd, New York, NY1991: 193-219
- Self-report scales and procedures for assessing pain in adults.in: Turk D.C. Melzack R. Handbook of Pain Assessment. The Guilford Press, New York, NY1992: 135-151
- Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the daily sleep interference scale among diabetic peripheral neuropathy and postherpetic neuralgia patients.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2008; 36: 54-68
- Psychometric properties of the MOS (medical outcomes study) sleep scale in patients with neuropathic pain.Eur J Pain. 2007; 11: 329-340
- Psychometric properties of the medical outcomes study sleep measure.Sleep Med. 2005; 6: 41-44
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale.Pain. 2001; 94: 149-158
- Clinical global impressions in Alzheimer's clinical trials.Int Psychogeriatr. 1996; 8 (discussion 288-290): 277-288
- Pregabalin for the treatment of painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Pain. 2004; 110: 628-638
- Pregabalin reduces pain and improves sleep and mood disturbances in patients with post-herpetic neuralgia: results of a randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Pain. 2004; 109: 26-35
- Pregabalin for the treatment of postherpetic neuralgia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Neurology. 2003; 60: 1274-1283
- Efficacy and tolerability of twice-daily pregabalin for treating pain and related sleep interference in postherpetic neuralgia: a 13-week, randomized trial.Curr Med Res Opin. 2006; 22: 375-384
- Pharmacology profile and clinical findings of pregabalin (Lyrica capsule).Nihon Yakurigaku Zasshi. 2010; 136: 165-174
- The adverse event profile of pregabalin: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 826-836
- Benefits and harms of pregabalin in the management of neuropathic pain: a rapid review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e023600
- Impact of disease characteristics on the efficacy of duloxetine in diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 664-669
- Summary of the update to the diabetic neuropathy management Guidebook.J Korean Diabetes. 2012; 13: 115-123
- Paracetamol (acetaminophen) with or without codeine or dihydrocodeine for neuropathic pain in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 12: CD012227
- Pregabalin: a novel gamma-aminobutyric acid analogue in the treatment of neuropathic pain, partial-onset seizures, and anxiety disorders.Clin Ther. 2007; 29: 26-48
Published online: November 30, 2020
Accepted: October 21, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc.