Our aim was to investigate the effects of the sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor empagliflozin on urinary and serum glucose and electrolytes, urinary volume, osmolality, and the renin−angiotensin system in patients with type 2 diabetes.
In an open-label study, 22 patients receiving metformin (median age 56 years; range 40–65 years) received empagliflozin 25 mg once daily for 5 days. Food, fluid, and sodium intake were standardized for 3 days before and during treatment.
Twenty patients completed treatment. After single and multiple doses of empagliflozin, mean (SE) changes from baseline in 24-hour urinary glucose excretion were 463.3 (57.3) mmol/d and 599.5 (60.0) mmol/d, respectively (83.5 [10.3] g/d and 108.0 [10.8] g/d, respectively) (both P < 0.001), and in fasting serum glucose concentration were −1.8 (0.4) mmol/L and −1.1 (0.3) mmol/L, respectively (both P < 0.001). After a single dose, mean (SE) change from baseline in urine sodium excretion was 45.3 (9.6) mmol/d (P < 0.001), and in urine volume was 341.0 (140.5) g/d (P = 0.025), but there were no changes compared with baseline in either parameter after multiple doses. There were no changes in plasma renin or serum aldosterone with single or multiple doses of empagliflozin. There was a nonsignificant reduction in weight after a single dose of empagliflozin and a mean (SE) change of −1.4 (0.5) kg after multiple doses (P = 0.020).
Empagliflozin 25 mg increased urinary glucose excretion and decreased serum glucose and weight with transient natriuresis and increases in urine volume, without significant changes in the renin−angiotensin system. Clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01276288.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Empagliflozin, a novel selective sodium glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT-2) inhibitor: characterisation and comparison with other SGLT-2 inhibitors.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012; 14: 83-90
- Role of the kidney in normal glucose homeostasis and in the hyperglycaemia of diabetes mellitus: therapeutic implications.Diabet Med. 2010; 27: 136-142
- Sodium-glucose cotransport inhibition with dapagliflozin in type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 650-657
- SGLT2 inhibition in diabetes mellitus: rationale and clinical prospects.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2012; 8: 495-502
- Empagliflozin as add-on to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1650-1659
- Empagliflozin as add-on to metformin plus sulfonylurea in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3396-3404
- Empagliflozin improves glycaemic and weight control as add-on therapy to pioglitazone or pioglitazone plus metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2013; 16: 147-158
- Empagliflozin monotherapy with sitagliptin as an active comparator in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 208-219
- The role of the kidneys in glucose homeostasis: a new path towards normalizing glycaemia.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012; 14: 5-14
- Effects of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Soc Hypertens. 2014; 8: 262-275
- Effects of empagliflozin on blood pressure and markers of arterial stiffness and vascular resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015; 17: 1180-1193
- Renal hemodynamic effect of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.Circ. 2014; 129: 587-597
- World Health Organization equations have shortcomings for predicting resting energy expenditure in persons from a modern, affluent population: generation of a new reference standard from a retrospective analysis of a German database of resting energy expenditure.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 80: 1379-1390
- Assessing pharmacokinetic interactions between the sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor empagliflozin and hydrochlorothiazide or torasemide in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, open-label, crossover study.Clin Ther. 2015; 37: 793-803
- Efficacy and safety of empagliflozin added to existing antidiabetes treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 369-384
- Comparison of empagliflozin and glimepiride as add-on to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 104-week randomised, active-controlled, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 691-700
- Improved glucose control with weight loss, lower insulin doses and no increased hypoglycemia with empagliflozin added-on to titrated multiple daily injections of insulin in obese inadequately controlled patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1815-1823
- Empagliflozin reduces blood pressure in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension.Diabetes Care. 2014; 33: 420-428
- Empagliflozin and progression of kidney disease in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 323-334
- Characterisation of glomerular haemodynamic responses to SGLT2 inhibition in patients with type 1 diabetes and renal hyperfiltration.Diabetol. 2014; 57: 2599-2602
- Glycosuria-mediated urinary uric acid excretion in patients with uncomplicated type 1 diabetes mellitus.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2015; 308: F77-83
Chino Y, Samukawa Y, Sakai S, et al. SGLT2 inhibitor lowers serum uric acid through alteration of uric acid transport activity in renal tubule by increased glycosuria. Biopharm Drug Dispos 2014;35:391–404.
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- KDIGO 2012 Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease.Kidney Int. 2013; 3: 1-150
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2129-2200
- Energy balance following sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibition.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 1730-1735
Published online: September 28, 2016
Accepted: September 7, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.