Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
- Rising burden of gout in the UK but continuing suboptimal management: a nationwide population study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2015; 74: 661-667
- New insights into the epidemiology of gout.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009; 48: ii2-ii8
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States: Part II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 26-35
- Prevalence of gout and hyperuricemia in the US general population: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2008.Arthritis Rheum. 2011; 63: 3136-3141
- A revised estimate of the burden of illness of gout.Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2013; 75: 1-4
- The role of hyperuricemia and gout in kidney and cardiovascular disease.Cleve Clin J Med. 2008; 75: S13-S16
- Pathogenesis of gout.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 499-516
- 2012 American College of Rheumatology guidelines for management of gout. Part 1: Systematic nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapeutic approaches to hyperuricemia.Arthritis Care Res. 2012; 64: 1431-1446
- Update on gout and hyperuricemia.Int J Clin Pract. 2010; 64: 371-377
- Is there a pathogenetic role for uric acid in hypertension and cardiovascular and renal disease?.Hypertension. 2003; 41: 1183-1190
- Uric acid: a novel mediator and marker of risk in chronic kidney disease?.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2009; 18: 526-530
- New insights into uric acid effects on the progression and prognosis of chronic kidney disease.Ren Fail. 2012; 34: 510-520
- Is hyperuricemia an independent risk factor for new-onset chronic kidney disease? A systematic review and meta-analysis based on observational cohort studies.BMC Nephrol. 2014; 15: 122
- Effect of uric-acid-lowering therapy on progression of chronic kidney disease: a meta-analysis.J Huazhong Univ Sci Technol Med Sci. 2014; 34: 476-481
- Allopurinol and progression of CKD and cardiovascular events: long-term follow-up of a randomized clinical trial.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65: 543-549
- We can make gout management more successful now.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2008; 20: 167-172
- Allopurinol in the treatment of gout.Ann Intern Med. 1966; 64: 229-258
- The effect of allopurinol in primary and secondary gout.Arthritis Rheum. 1965; 8: 905-906
- Treatment adherence in patients with gout.Joint Bone Spine. 2011; 78: 456-459
- Rates of adherence and persistence with allopurinol therapy among gout patients in Israel.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013; 52: 1126-1131
Watson Laboratories Inc. Allopurinol [Package Insert]. Corona, CA; 2006. http://pi.watson.com/data_stream.asp?product_group=1197&p=pi&language=E. Accessed May 10, 2013.
- Gout medication treatment patterns and adherence to standards of care from a managed care perspective.Mayo Clin Proc. 2006; 81: 925-934
- Febuxostat compared with allopurinol in patients with hyperuricemia and gout.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2450-2461
- The urate-lowering efficacy and safety of febuxostat in the treatment of the hyperuricemia of gout: the CONFIRMS trial.Arthritis Res Ther. 2010; 12: R63
- Effects of febuxostat versus allopurinol and placebo in reducing serum urate in subjects with hyperuricemia and gout: a 28-week, phase III, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 1540-1548
U.S. Census Bureau. Current population survey, annual social and economic supplement. 2010. http://www.census.gov/population/age/data/2010comp.html. Accessed October 30, 2013.
- Gout epidemiology: results from the UK General Practice Research Database, 1990-1999.Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 267-272
- Eligibility for and prescription of urate-lowering treatment in patients with incident gout in England.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2684-2686
US Food and Drug Administration. Press Announcements - FDA Approves Drug for Gout Management. US Food and Drug Administration News & Events. 2009. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm149534.htm. Accessed March 30, 2014.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc. Uloric (febuxostat) [Package Insert]. Deerfield, IL; 2009.
- Severe allopurinol toxicity. Description and guidelines for prevention in patients with renal insufficiency.Am J Med. 1984; 76: 47-56
- Allopurinol dosing in renal impairment: walking the tightrope between adequate urate lowering and adverse events.Semin Dial. 2007; 20: 391-395
- Understanding the dose-response relationship of allopurinol: predicting the optimal dosage.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 76: 932-938
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2008. 2009. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/search/nhanes07_08.aspx. Accessed February 17, 2014.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2009-2010. 2011. Available at: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/search/nhanes09_10.aspx. Accessed February 17, 2014.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Incidence of diagnosed diabetes per 1,000 population aged 18-79 years, 1980-2011. Diabetes Public Health Resource. 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/incidence/fig3.htm. Accessed February 16, 2014.
- Febuxostat in the treatment of gout: 5-yr findings of the FOCUS efficacy and safety study.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009; 48: 188-194
- Hyperuricaemia and accelerated reduction in renal function.Scand J Rheumatol. 2011; 40: 116-121
- Frequency, risk, and cost of gout-related episodes among the elderly: does serum uric acid level matter?.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 1032-1040
- Association between serum uric acid and development of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1737-1742
- Serum urate and incidence of kidney disease among veterans with gout.J Rheumatol. 2013; 40: 1166-1172
- 2012 American College of Rheumatology guidelines for management of gout. Part 2: Therapy and antiinflammatory prophylaxis of acute gouty arthritis.Arthritis Care Res. 2012; 64: 1447-1461
- Pearson IV. Cost-effectiveness of febuxostat in chronic gout.Eur J Health Econ. 2014; 15: 453-463
- Determinants of the clinical outcomes of gout during the first year of urate-lowering therapy.Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2008; 27: 585-591
- The incidence of allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome: a population perspective (abstract 1362).Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: S672-S673
- PMS22 Economic impact of allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome.Value Health. 2008; 11: A261
- Abstract 143 - Proposed gout treatment guidelines and meeting serum urate and flare goals.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: S62
- 16-year excess all-cause mortality of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients: a cohort study.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 400
- Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1296-1305
- A new perspective on the pharmacoeconomics of colchicine.Curr Med Res Opin. 2011; 27: 931-937
American Medical Association. AMA CodeManager: CPT Code/Relative Value Search. https://ocm.ama-assn.org/OCM/CPTRelativeValueSearch.do. Accessed October 21, 2013.
Avalere Health LLC. Trendwatch 2013 chartbook: trends affecting hospitals and health systems. 2013. http://www.aha.org/research/reports/index.shtml.
Walk-In Lab. Uric acid serum test. Kidney Tests. http://www.walkinlab.com/kidney-tests/uricacidserumtest.html. Accessed February 21, 2014.
- The effect of serum urate on gout flares and their associated costs: an administrative claims analysis.J Clin Rheumatol. 2009; 15: 3-7
- A health policy model of CKD 2: The cost-effectiveness of microalbuminuria screening.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 463-473
US Renal Data System. USRDS 2011 annual data report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. Chapter 11. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2011. http://www.usrds.org/atlas11.aspx. Accessed March 30, 2014.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer Price Index–all urban consumers. Medical Care. http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?cu. Accessed December 22, 2014.
- Patients with gout adhere to curative treatment if informed appropriately: proof-of-concept observational study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 826-830
- Effectiveness of a pharmacist-based gout care management programme in a large integrated health plan: results from a pilot study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e003627