Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
- Clinical and economic impact of intra- and postoperative use of opioids and analgesic devices.Hosp Pharm. 2011; 46: S1-S3
- Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged.Anesth Analg. 2003; 97: 534-540
- Pain Management Guideline Panel. Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, US Department of Health and Human Services.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1992; 7: 214-228
- A report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Pain Management, Acute Pain Section.Anesthesiology. 1995; 82: 1071-1081
- Practice guidelines for acute pain management in the perioperative setting: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Acute Pain Management.Anesthesiology. 2004; 100: 1573-1581
- Practice guidelines for acute pain management in the perioperative setting: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Acute Pain Management.Anesthesiology. 2012; 116: 248-273
Geriatrics and Extended Care Strategic Healthcare Group, National Pain Management Coordinating Committee. Pain as the 5th Vital Sign Toolkit. Veterans Health Administration. Department of Veterans Affairs website. http://www.va.gov/painmanagement/docs/toolkit.pdf. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- JCAHO pain management standards are unveiled. Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.JAMA. 2000; 284: 428-429
The Joint Commission. Facts about pain management, 2012. http://www.jointcommission.org/pain_management/. Accessed September 18, 2014.
HCAHPS fact sheet (CAHPS hospital survey), 2012. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems. http://www.hcahpsonline.org/files/HCAHPS%20Fact%20Sheet%20May%202012.pdf. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Treatment of acute postoperative pain.Lancet. 2011; 377: 2215-2225
- Acute pain management. Programs in U.S. hospitals and experiences and attitudes among U.S. adults.Anesthesiology. 1995; 83: 1090-1094
- Incidence, patient satisfaction, and perceptions of post-surgical pain: results from a US national survey.Curr Med Res Opin. 2014; 30: 149-160
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: rationale for use in severe postoperative pain.Br J Anaesth. 1991; 66: 703-712
- The role of non-opioid analgesic techniques in the management of pain after ambulatory surgery.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 577-585
- The value of “multimodal” or “balanced analgesia” in postoperative pain treatment.Anesth Analg. 1993; 77: 1048-1056
- Mechanism of action of paracetamol.Am J Ther. 2005; 12: 46-55
- New insights into the mechanism of action of acetaminophen: its clinical pharmacologic characteristics reflect its inhibition of the two prostaglandin H2 synthases.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 79: 9-19
- Meeting report: the biology and pharmacology of calcium channel α2-δ proteins. Pfizer Satellite Symposium to the 2003 Society for Neuroscience Meeting, Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, New Orleans, LA November 10, 2003.CNS Drug Rev. 2004; 10: 183-188
- Mechanistic stratification of antineuralgic agents.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003; 25: S18-S30
- The changing role of non-opioid analgesic techniques in the management of postoperative pain.Anesth Analg. 2005; 101: S5-S22
- Remifentanil-induced postoperative hyperalgesia and its prevention with small-dose ketamine.Anesthesiology. 2005; 103: 147-155
The Management of Postoperative Pain Working Group. VHA/DoD clinical practice guideline for the management of postoperative pain, 2002. Veterans Health Administration; Department of Defense. US Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.healthquality.va.gov. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Opioid-related adverse drug events in surgical hospitalizations: impact on costs and length of stay.Ann Pharmacother. 2007; 41: 400-407
- Controversies in the perioperative use of nonsterodial antiinflammatory drugs.Anesth Analg. 1994; 79: 1178-1190
- Adverse events associated with postoperative opioid analgesia: a systematic review.J Pain. 2002; 3: 159-180
- Challenges in acute post-operative pain management.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007; 64: S2-S5
- Results of the opioid knowledge assessment from the PA Hospital Engagement Network Adverse Drug Event Collaboration.Pa Patient Saf Advis. 2013; 10: 19-26
- In-hospital use of opioids increases rate of coded postoperative paralytic ileus.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 668-674
- Pathogenesis and clinical and economic consequences of postoperative ileus.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007; 64: S3-S7
- Patient-controlled analgesia: is it worth the painful prescribing process?.Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2010; 23: 434-438
- Patient controlled opioid analgesia versus conventional opioid analgesia for postoperative pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; : CD003348
- Clinical and economic implications of postsurgical use of opioid therapy.Hosp Pharm. 2011; 46: S4-S11
- Patient-controlled analgesia-related medication errors in the postoperative period: causes and prevention.Drug Saf. 2009; 32: 549-559
- Patient-controlled analgesia.Anesth Analg. 2005; 101: S44-S61
- Safe use of opioids in hospitals.Sentinel Event Alert. 2012; 49: 1-5
- PCA safety data review after clinical decision support and smart pump technology implementation.J Patient Saf. 2013; 9: 103-109
Hamilton TE. Requirements for hospital medication administration, particularly intravenous (IV) medications and post-operative care of patients receiving IV opioids. Memo 14-15-Hospital. Department of Health & Human Services; Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Downloads/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-14-15.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- Clinical pharmacology of local anesthetic agents.in: Cousins M.J. Bridenbaugh P.O. Neural Blockade in Clinical Anesthesia and Management of Pain. 3rd ed. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa1998: 97-128
- ASRA practice advisory on local anesthetic systemic toxicity.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2010; 35: 152-161
- Postarthroscopic glenohumeral chondrolysis.Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35: 1628-1634
- Methemoglobinemia related to local anesthetics: a summary of 242 episodes.Anesth Analg. 2009; 108: 837-845
- Are the new local anesthetics worth their cost?.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2000; 44: 639-641
- Risk of acute myocardial infarction and sudden cardiac death in patients treated with cyclo-oxygenase 2 selective and non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: nested case-control study.Lancet. 2005; 365: 475-481
- FDA labors over NSAID decisions: panel suggests COX-2 inhibitors stay available.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2005; 62: 668-672
- Do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs affect bone healing? A critical analysis.ScientificWorldJournal. 2012; 2012: 606404
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, acetaminophen, and the risk of cardiovascular events.Circulation. 2006; 113: 1578-1587
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Acetaminophen overdose and liver injury - background and options for reducing injury. Food and Drug Administration website. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/DrugSafetyandRiskManagementAdvisoryCommittee/UCM164897.pdf. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- Therapeutic dose of acetaminophen may induce fulminant hepatitis in the presence of risk factors: a report of two cases.Br J Anaesth. 2009; 103: 899-900
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: prescription acetaminophen products to be limited to 325 mg per dosage unit; boxed warning will highlight potential for severe liver failure. Food and Drug Administration website. http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm239821.htm. Accessed September 2, 2014.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA warns of rare acetaminophen risk. FDA Consumer Health Information. Food and Drug Administration website. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM363067.pdf. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- The role of intravenous acetaminophen in acute pain management: a case-illustrated review.Pain Manag Nurs. 2012; 13: 107-124
- Intravenous acetaminophen.Anesthesiol Clin. 2010; 28: 619-645
- Ketamine--its pharmacology and therapeutic uses.Anesthesiology. 1982; 56: 119-136
- Ketamine: teaching an old drug new tricks.Anesth Analg. 1998; 87: 1186-1193
- Pharmacologic management of neuropathic pain: evidence-based recommendations.Pain. 2007; 132: 237-251
- Incidence of adverse drug reactions in hospitalized patients: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.JAMA. 1998; 279: 1200-1205
- ‘Global trigger tool’ shows that adverse events in hospitals may be ten times greater than previously measured.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 581-589
- The costs of adverse drug events in hospitalized patients. Adverse Drug Events Prevention Study Group.JAMA. 1997; 277: 307-311
- Adverse drug events in hospitalized patients. Excess length of stay, extra costs, and attributable mortality.JAMA. 1997; 277: 301-306
- Cost of opioid-related adverse drug events in surgical patients.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003; 25: 276-283
- Challenges in the management of acute postsurgical pain.Pharmacotherapy. 2012; 32: 6S-11S
- Effect of opioid-related adverse events on outcomes in selected surgical patients.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2013; 27: 62-70
- Dose-response relationship between opioid use and adverse effects after ambulatory surgery.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 28: 35-46
- Inpatient economic burden of postoperative ileus associated with abdominal surgery in the United States.P&T. 2007; 32: 82-90
- Surgical stress: the role of pain and analgesia.Br J Anaesth. 1989; 63: 189-195
- New direction in the management of postsurgical pain. Introduction.Pharmacotherapy. 2012; 32: 1S-5S
- Multimodal analgesia: its role in preventing postoperative pain.Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2008; 9: 76-82
- The role of the anesthesiologist in fast-track surgery: from multimodal analgesia to perioperative medical care.Anesth Analg. 2007; 104: 1380-1396
- Paracetamol and selective and non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for the reduction in morphine-related side-effects after major surgery: a systematic review.Br J Anaesth. 2011; 106: 292-297
Dasta J. Local anesthetics: evolving to a new standard of care. Pharm Pract News Special Report. January 2013:1-8.
- Recent advances in the pharmacokinetics of local anaesthetics. Long-acting amide enantiomers and continuous infusions.Clin Pharmacokinet. 1999; 36: 67-83
- Properties, absorption, and disposition of local anesthetic agents.in: Cousins M.J. Bridenbaugh P.O. Neural Blockade in Clinical Anesthesia and Management of Pain. 3rd ed. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pa1998: 55-95
- Perianal blockage with 0.5% bupivacaine for postoperative pain relief in hemorrhoidectomy.J Med Assoc Thai. 2004; 87: 660-664
- Analgesic benefit of locally injected bupivacaine after hemorrhoidectomy.Dis Colon Rectum. 1990; 33: 487-489
- A qualitative systematic review of incisional local anaesthesia for postoperative pain relief after abdominal operations.Br J Anaesth. 1998; 81: 377-383
- Central nervous and cardiovascular effects of i.v. infusions of ropivacaine, bupivacaine and placebo in volunteers.Br J Anaesth. 1997; 78: 507-514
- A comparison of the cardiovascular effects of levobupivacaine and rac-bupivacaine following intravenous administration to healthy volunteers.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1998; 46: 245-249
- The effect of local anaesthetics on the central circulation and respiration in man and dog.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1968; 12: 153-169
- Acute toxicity of ropivacaine compared with that of bupivacaine.Anesth Analg. 1989; 69: 563-569
- Focused review: ropivacaine versus bupivacaine for epidural labor analgesia.Anesth Analg. 2010; 111: 482-487
- Local anesthetics.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2007; 20: 336-342
- Ultralong-lasting nerve block: triethyldodecyl ammonium bromide is probably a neurotoxin rather than a local anesthetic.Anesthesiology. 1987; 67: 896-904
- Should we add clonidine to local anesthetic for peripheral nerve blockade? A qualitative systematic review of the literature.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2007; 32: 330-338
- Continuous peripheral nerve blocks at home: a review.Anesth Analg. 2005; 100: 1822-1833
- The effectiveness of an anesthetic continuous-infusion device on postoperative pain control.Arthroscopy. 2002; 18: 76-81
- Decreased postoperative pain, narcotic, and antiemetic use after breast reduction using a local anesthetic pain pump.Ann Plast Surg. 2008; 61: 147-152
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind study of the efficacy of postoperative continuous local anesthetic infusion at the iliac crest bone graft site after posterior spinal arthrodesis: a minimum of 4-year follow-up.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007; 32: 2790-2796
- The efficacy of continuous local anesthetic infiltration in breast surgery: reduction mammaplasty and reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 115: 1927-1934
- Local anesthetic infusion pumps improve postoperative pain after inguinal hernia repair: a randomized trial.Am Surg. 2004; 70: 1002-1006
- Use of a continuous local anesthetic infusion for pain management after median sternotomy.Anesthesiology. 2003; 99: 918-923
- Efficacy of continuous wound catheters delivering local anesthetic for postoperative analgesia: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trials.J Am Coll Surg. 2006; 203: 914-932
- Improved pain control after cardiac surgery: results of a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 126: 1271-1278
- Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of ropivacaine continuous wound instillation after joint replacement surgery.Br J Anaesth. 2003; 91: 830-835
- The pharmacokinetics and efficacy of ropivacaine continuous wound instillation after spine fusion surgery.Anesth Analg. 2004; 98: 166-172
- Continuous infusion of local anesthetic decreases narcotic use and length of hospitalization after laparoscopic renal surgery.J Endourol. 2009; 23: 623-626
- Prospective, randomized, double-blind trial of local anesthetic infusion and intravenous narcotic patient-controlled anesthesia pump for pain management after free TRAM flap breast reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 122: 1010-1018
- Continuous local anesthetic infusion for pain management after outpatient inguinal herniorrhaphy.Surgery. 2004; 136: 761-769
- Efficacy of a local anesthetic pain pump in abdominoplasty.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 119: 1054-1059
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of continuous local anesthetic infusion in cosmetic breast augmentation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 121: 711-715
- Continuous infusion of a local anesthetic versus interscalene block for postoperative pain control after arthroscopic shoulder surgery.Arthroscopy. 2007; 23: 1006-1011
- Continuous wound infusion of local anesthetic for the control of pain after elective abdominal colorectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2007; 50: 2158-2167
- Continuous, intra-articular infusion of bupivacaine after total-knee arthroplasty may lead to potentially toxic serum levels of local anesthetic.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2005; 30: 414-415
- Cost-effectiveness analysis comparing epidural, patient-controlled intravenous morphine, and continuous wound infiltration for postoperative pain management after open abdominal surgery.Br J Anaesth. 2012; 108: 998-1005
- The role of continuous peripheral nerve blocks.Anesthesiol Res Pract. 2012; 2012: 560879
- Ensuring safe and economical use of elastomeric infusion devices [letter].Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011; 68: 2330-2331
- Measures to improve safety of an elastomeric infusion system for pain management.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011; 68: 1251-1255
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Information for healthcare professionals: chondrolysis reported with continuously infused local anesthetics (marketed as bupivacaine, chlorprocaine, lidocaine, mepivacaine, procaine and ropivacaine). Food and Drug Administration website. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm190302.htm. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- Local anesthetic infusion pump systems adverse events reported to the Food and Drug Administration.Anesthesiology. 2004; 100: 1305-1307
- Liposomal bupivacaine: a long-acting local anesthetic for postsurgical analgesia.Formulary. 2012; 47: 212-226
- The development of postoperative knee chondrolysis after intra-articular pain pump infusion of an anesthetic medication: a series of twenty-one cases.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 1448-1457
- Wound infiltration for surgery.Anaesthesia. 2010; 65: 67-75
- Local infiltration analgesia: a technique for the control of acute postoperative pain following knee and hip surgery: a case study of 325 patients.Acta Orthop. 2008; 79: 174-183
- Pain management after major orthopaedic surgery: current strategies and new concepts.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2002; 10: 117-129
- Multimodal analgesia with gabapentin and local anesthetics prevents acute and chronic pain after breast surgery for cancer.Anesth Analg. 2005; 101: 1427-1432
- Chronic post-thoracotomy pain: a retrospective study.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2006; 50: 804-808
- Risk factors for chronic pain following breast cancer surgery: a prospective study.J Pain. 2006; 7: 626-634
Exparel [prescribing information]. Parsippany, NJ: Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2014.
Langford RM, Chappell GM, Karrasch JA. A single administration of DepoBupivacaine intraoperatively results in prolonged detectable plasma bupivacaine and analgesia in patients undergoing inguinal hernia repair [abstract P-9088]. Abstract presented at: Annual Postgraduate Assembly in Anesthesiology of the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists; December 12-16, 2008; New York, NY.
- Analgesia following a single administration of depobupivacaine intraoperatively in patients undergoing inguinal herniorrhaphy: preliminary dose-ranging studies [abstract S-242].Anesth Analg. 2009; 108 (S-242)
- A randomized, double-blind, dose-ranging study comparing wound infiltration of DepoFoam bupivacaine, an extended-release liposomal bupivacaine, to bupivacaine HCl for postsurgical analgesia in total knee arthroplasty.Knee. 2012; 19: 530-536
- A double-blind, randomized, active-controlled study for post-hemorrhoidectomy pain management with liposome bupivacaine, a novel local analgesic formulation.Am Surg. 2012; 78: 574-581
- Bupivacaine extended-release liposome injection for prolonged postsurgical analgesia in patients undergoing hemorrhoidectomy: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Dis Colon Rectum. 2011; 54: 1552-1559
- The efficacy and safety of DepoFoam bupivacaine in patients undergoing bilateral, cosmetic, submuscular augmentation mammoplasty: a randomized, double-blind, active-control study.Aesthet Surg J. 2012; 32: 69-76
- A phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of DepoFoam(R) bupivacaine (extended-release bupivacaine local analgesic) in bunionectomy.Adv Ther. 2011; 28: 776-788
- Extended pain relief trial utilizing infiltration of Exparel®, a long-acting multivesicular liposome formulation of bupivacaine: a Phase IV health economic trial in adult patients undergoing open colectomy.J Pain Res. 2012; 5: 567-572
- An extended paIn relief trial utilizing the infiltration of a long-acting Multivesicular liPosome foRmulation Of bupiVacaine, EXPAREL (IMPROVE): a Phase IV health economic trial in adult patients undergoing ileostomy reversal.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 549-555
- Liposome bupivacaine (EXPAREL®) for extended pain relief in patients undergoing ileostomy reversal at a single institution with a fast-track discharge protocol: an IMPROVE Phase IV health economics trial.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 605-610
Sternlicht A, Shapiro M, Robelen G, et al. Initial findings using EXPAREL® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) via infiltration into the transversus abdominis plane (TAP) for postsurgical analgesia in robotic prostatectomy (RP). Abstract presented at: Annual Fall Pain Meeting and Workshops of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine; November 15-18, 2012; Miami Beach, Fl.
Feierman DE, Kronenfeld M, Gupta PM, et al. Evaluation of Exparel® use via infiltration into the transversus abdominis plane for prolonged postoperative analgesia in subjects undergoing open abdominal hernia repair. Poster presented at: Annual Meeting of the International Anesthesia Research Society; May 4-7, 2013; San Diego, Ca.
Data on file. Unpublished results. Parsippany, NJ: Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2011.
- Pharmacokinetic profile of liposome bupivacaine injection following a single administration at the surgical site.Clin Drug Investig. 2013; 33: 109-115
- Efficacy profile of liposome bupivacaine, a novel formulation of bupivacaine for postsurgical analgesia.J Pain Res. 2012; 5: 107-116
- The safety of liposome bupivacaine, a novel local analgesic formulation.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 102-110
- Bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension compared with bupivacaine HCl for the reduction of opioid burden in the postsurgical setting.Curr Med Res Opin. 2012; 28: 1609-1615
Avinza [package insert]. Bristol, Tn: King Pharmaceuticals, Inc; 2013.
- Liposome bupivacaine for postsurgical analgesia in adult patients undergoing laparoscopic colectomy: results from prospective phase IV sequential cohort studies assessing health economic outcomes.Curr Ther Res. 2014; 76: 1-6
- Improving patient outcomes through advanced pain management techniques in total hip and knee arthroplasty.Am J Orthoped (Belle Mead NJ). 2013; 42: S1-S17
Sternlicht A, Shapiro M, Robelen G, et al. Initial findings using EXPAREL® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) via infiltration into the transversus abdominis plane for postsurgical analgesia in robotic prostatectomy. Poster presented at: Annual Fall Pain Meeting and Workshops of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine; November 15-18, 2012; Miami Beach, Fl.
- The safety of EXPAREL® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) administered by peripheral nerve block in rabbits and dogs.J Drug Deliv. 2012; 2012 ([epub]): 962101
- Liposomal bupivacaine as a single-injection peripheral nerve block: a dose-response study.Anesth Analg. 2013; 117: 1248-1256
- The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of liposome bupivacaine administered via a single epidural injection to healthy volunteers.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012; 37: 616-622
- A review of the compatibility of liposome bupivacaine with other drug products and commonly used implant materials.Postgrad Med. 2014; 126: 129-138
- Bupivacaine extended-release liposome injection exhibits a favorable cardiac safety profile.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012; 37: 145-151
- Systemic toxicity and cardiotoxicity from local anesthetics: incidence and preventive measures.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2002; 27: 556-561
Marcaine [package insert]. Sodertalje, Sweden: AstraZeneca; 2010.
- Impact of local administration of liposome bupivacaine for postsurgical analgesia on wound healing: a review of data from ten prospective, controlled clinical studies.Clin Ther. 2013; 35: 312-320
- Cost trade-off analysis of bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension in a community hospital setting [abstract 260].Pharmacotherapy. 2013; 33: e260