Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Merritt’s Neurology..12th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa2010
- Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1502-1517
- Costs and quality of life in multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional study in the United States.Neurology. 2006; 66: 1696-1702
- Managed care aspects of managing multiple sclerosis.Am J Manag Care. 2013; 19: S28-S34
- Improving quality of life in multiple sclerosis: an unmet need.Am J Manag Care. 2011; 17: S139-S145
Aubagio (teriflunomide) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/202992s001lbl.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2014.
Betaseron (inteferon beta-1b) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/103471s5185lbl.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2014.
Extavia (inteferon beta-1b) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/125290s0000lbl.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2014.
Avonex (interferon beta-1a) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/103628s5129s5177s5194s5224lbl.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2014.
Rebif (interferon beta-1a) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/103780s5178s5179lbl.pdf. Accessed December 27,2014.
Copaxone (glatiramer acetate) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/020622s089lbl.pdf. Accessed December 30, 2014.
Gilenya (fingolimod) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/022527s009lbl.pdf. Accessed December 27, 2014.
Novantrone (mitoxantrone) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/019297s035lbl.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2014.
Tysabri (natalizumab) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/125104s840s847s889lbl.pdf. Accessed December 27, 2014.
Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/204063s003s008s010lbl.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2014.
Plegridy (peginterferon beta-1a) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/125499lbl.pdf. Accessed December 15, 2014.
Lemtrada (alemtuzumab) [package insert]. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/103948s5139lbl.pdf. Accessed December 26, 2014.
Red Book Online. Ann Arbor, Mich; Truven Healthy Analytics. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com/micromedex2/librarian/ND_T/evidencexpert/ND_PR/evidencexpert/CS/C576EE/ND_AppProduct/evidencexpert/DUPLICATIONSHIELDSYNC/FB3F34/ND_PG/evidencexpert/ND_B/evidencexpert/ND_P/evidencexpert/PFActionId/redbook.FindRedBook?navitem=topRedBook. Accessed December 29, 2014.
- Mechanism of action of oral fingolimod (FTY720) in multiple sclerosis.Clin Neuropharmacol. 2010; 33: 91-101
- A placebo-controlled trial of oral fingolimod in relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 387-401
- Oral fingolimod or intramuscular interferon for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 402-415
- Fingolimod therapy in early multiple sclerosis: an efficacy analysis of the TRANSFORMS and FREEDOMS studies by time since first symptom.CNS Neurosci Ther. 2014; 20: 446-451
- Safety and efficacy of fingolimod in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (FREEDOMS II): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 545-556
- Oral fingolimod (FTY720) for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1124-1140
- Oral fingolimod (FTY720) in multiple sclerosis: two-year results of a phase II extension study.Neurology. 2009; 72: 73-79
- Phase II study of oral fingolimod (FTY720) in multiple sclerosis: 3-year results.Mult Scler. 2010; 16: 197-207
- Comparison of fingolimod with interferon beta-1a in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised extension of the TRANSFORMS study.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 520-529
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA investigating rare brain infection in patient taking Gilenya (fingolimod). http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm366529.htm. Accessed December 30, 2014.
- Teriflunomide and its mechanism of action in multiple sclerosis.Drugs. 2014; 74: 659-674
- Randomized trial of oral teriflunomide for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1293-1303
- A Phase II study of the safety and efficacy of teriflunomide in multiple sclerosis with relapses.Neurology. 2006; 66: 894-900
- Teriflunomide added to interferon-beta in relapsing multiple sclerosis: a randomized phase II trial.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1877-1885
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Application Number 202992Orig1s000 Medical Reviews. 2012. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2012/202992Orig1s000MedR.pdf. Accessed December 29, 2014.
- Teriflunomide effect on immune response to influenza vaccine in patients with multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2013; 81: 552-558
- Oral teriflunomide for patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis (TOWER): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 247-256
- Oral teriflunomide for patients with a first clinical episode suggestive of multiple sclerosis (TOPIC): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 977-986
- Teriflunomide versus subcutaneous interferon beta-1a in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis: a randomised, controlled phase 3 trial.Mult Scler. 2014; 20: 705-716
- Long-term follow-up of a phase 2 study of oral teriflunomide in relapsing multiple sclerosis: safety and efficacy results up to 8.5 years.Mult Scler. 2012; 18: 1278-1289
- Teriflunomide reduces relapse-related neurological sequelae, hospitalizations and steroid use.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 2472-2480
- Teriflunomide reduces relapses with sequelae and relapses leading to hospitalizations: results from the TOWER study.J Neurol. 2014; 261: 1781-1788
Leist T, Freedman M, Benamor M, et al. [P2.203] Pooled safety data from four placebo-controlled teriflunomide studies. Paper presented at: American Academy of Neurology 2014 Annual Meeting; April 29, 2014; Philadelphia, Pa.
- Placebo-controlled phase 3 study of oral BG-12 or glatiramer in multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1087-1097
- Placebo-controlled phase 3 study of oral BG-12 for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1098-1107
- Efficacy and safety of oral fumarate in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase IIb study.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1463-1472
- Quality of life outcomes with BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate) in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: the DEFINE study.Mult Scler. 2014; 20: 243-252
- Effects of BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate) on health-related quality of life in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: findings from the CONFIRM study.Mult Scler. 2014; 20: 253-257
- Clinical efficacy of BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate) in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: subgroup analyses of the DEFINE study.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 2297-2305
- Clinical efficacy of BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate) in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: subgroup analyses of the CONFIRM study.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 2286-2296
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about case of rare brain infection PML with MS drug Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate). http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm424625.htm. Accessed December 10, 2014.
van Oosten BW, Killestein J, Barkhof F, et al. PML in a patient treated with dimethyl fumarate from a compounding pharmacy [published correction apears in N Engl J Med. 2013;368:1950]. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:1658-1659.
Long-Term Safety and Efficacy Extension Study of Oral BG00012 Monotherapy in Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis. Clinical Trial NCT00835770. https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00835770?term=dimethyl+fumarate&rank=16. Accessed December 20, 2014.
- Glatiramer acetate in the treatment of multiple sclerosis: emerging concepts regarding its mechanism of action.CNS Drugs. 2011; 25: 401-414
- Differential mechanisms of action of interferon-beta and glatiramer acetate in MS.Neurology. 2002; 59: 802-808
- Randomized, double-blind, dose-comparison study of glatiramer acetate in relapsing-remitting MS.Neurology. 2007; 68: 939-944
- Phase III dose-comparison study of glatiramer acetate for multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2011; 69: 75-82
- The pharmacokinetics of glatiramer acetate for multiple sclerosis treatment.Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2013; 9: 1349-1359
- Three times weekly glatiramer acetate in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2013; 73: 705-713
- PEGylated interferon beta-1a in the treatment of multiple sclerosis - an update.Biologics. 2013; 7: 131-138
- Every-other-day interferon beta-1b versus once-weekly interferon beta-1a for multiple sclerosis: results of a 2-year prospective randomised multicentre study (INCOMIN).Lancet. 2002; 359: 1453-1460
- Randomized, comparative study of interferon beta-1a treatment regimens in MS: the EVIDENCE Trial.Neurology. 2002; 59: 1496-1506
- Improving compliance with interferon-beta therapy in patients with multiple sclerosis.CNS Drugs. 2009; 23: 453-462
- A novel PEGylated interferon beta-1a for multiple sclerosis: safety, pharmacology, and biology.J Clin Pharmacol. 2012; 52: 798-808
Study to Evaluate the Pharmacokinetic Profiles of BIIB017 (Peginterferon Beta-1a) and Rebif® (Interferon Beta-1a) in Healthy Volunteers. Clinical Trial NCT 02269930. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02269930?term=BIIB017&rank=4. Accessed December, 20 2014.
- Pegylated interferon beta-1a for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (ADVANCE): a randomised, phase 3, double-blind study.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 657-665
- Peginterferon beta-1a in multiple sclerosis: 2-year results from ADVANCE.Mult Scler. 2014 Nov 28; ([Epub ahead of print])
Long-Term Safety and Efficacy Study of BIIB017 (PEGylated Interferon Beta-1a) (ATTAIN). Clinical Trial NCT 01332019. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01332019?term=01332019&rank=1. Accessed December 26, 2014.
- Alemtuzumab vs. interferon beta-1a in early multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1786-1801
- Alemtuzumab versus interferon beta-1a as first-line treatment for patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised controlled phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1819-1828
- Alemtuzumab for patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis after disease-modifying therapy: a randomised controlled phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1829-1839
- Alemtuzumab more effective than interferon beta-1a at 5-year follow-up of CAMMS223 clinical trial.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1069-1078
IMS Institute for Healthcare Information. Medicine use and shifting costs of healthcare: a review of the use of medicines in the United States in 2013. http://www.imshealth.com/deployedfiles/imshealth/Global/Content/Corporate/IMS%20Health%20Institute/Reports/Secure/IIHI_US_Use_of_Meds_for_2013.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2014
- Specialty medications: traditional and novel tools can address rising spending on these costly drugs.Health Aff (Millwwod). 2014; 33: 1736-1744
- Cost-effectiveness of fingolimod in treating patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Am J Pharm Benefits. 2011; 3: 320-328
- Cost-effectiveness of early initiation of fingolimod versus delayed initiation after 1 year of intramuscular interferon beta-1a in patients with multiple sclerosis.Clin Ther. 2012; 34: 1583-1590
- Cost-effectiveness of fingolimod versus interferon beta-1a for relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis in the United States.J Med Econ. 2012; 15: 1088-1096
- Cost-effectiveness of natalizumab versus fingolimod for the treatment of relapsing multiple sclerosis.J Med Econ. 2011; 14: 617-627
- Cost effectiveness of fingolimod, teriflunomide, dimethyl fumarate and intramuscular interferon-beta1a in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.CNS Drugs. 2015; 29: 71-81
- Cost-effectiveness of multiple sclerosis disease-modifying therapies: a systematic review of the literature.Autoimmune Dis. 2012; 2012: 784364
- Pharmacoeconomic considerations in the treatment of multiple sclerosis.Drugs. 2010; 70: 1677-1691
- Pharmacy’s Fundamental Reference.114 ed. Thomson Reuters (Healthcare) Inc, Montvale, N J2010
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Multiple sclerosis: management of multiple sclerosis in primary and secondary care. http://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG186. Accessed December 30, 2014.
- Guideline Development Group of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Multiple sclerosis: summary of NICE guidance.BMJ. 2014; 349: g5701
- New management algorithms in multiple sclerosis.Curr Opin Neurol. 2014; 27: 246-259
- Treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: current and future algorithms.Eur Neurol. 2014; 72: 35-38