The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a fimasartan/amlodipine combination in patients with hypertension and to determine the optimal composition for a future single-pill combination formulation.
This Phase II study was conducted by using a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 3 × 3 factorial design. After a 2-week placebo run-in period, eligible hypertensive patients (with a sitting diastolic blood pressure [SiDBP] between 90 and 114 mm Hg) were randomized to treatment. They received single or combined administration of fimasartan at 3 doses (0, 30, and 60 mg) and amlodipine at 3 doses (0, 5, and 10 mg) for 8 weeks. The primary efficacy end point was the change in SiDBP from baseline and at week 8; secondary end points included the change in SiDBP from baseline and at week 4 and the changes in sitting systolic blood pressure from baseline and at weeks 4 and 8. Treatment-emergent adverse events (AEs) were also assessed.
420 Korean patients with mild to moderate hypertension were randomly allocated to the 9 groups. Mean (SD) SiDBP changes in each group after 8 weeks were as follows: placebo, –6.0 (8.5) mm Hg; amlodipine 5 mg, –10.6 (9.2) mm Hg; amlodipine 10 mg, –15.9 (7.2) mm Hg; fimasartan 30 mg, –10.1 (9.1) mm Hg; fimasartan 60 mg, –13.0 (10.0) mm Hg; fimasartan 30 mg/amlodipine 5 mg, –16.2 (8.5) mm Hg; fimasartan 30 mg/amlodipine 10 mg, –19.5 (7.5) mm Hg; fimasartan 60 mg/amlodipine 5 mg, –16.6 (6.9) mm Hg; and fimasartan 60 mg/amlodipine 10 mg, –21.5 (8.3) mm Hg. All treatment groups produced significantly greater reductions in blood pressure compared with the placebo group. In addition, all combination treatment groups had superior reductions in blood pressure compared with the monotherapy groups. In the combination treatment groups, doubling fimasartan dose in the given dose of amlodipine did not show further BP reduction, whereas doubling amlodipine dose showed significantly further BP reduction in the given dose of fimasartan. During the study period, 75 (17.9%) of 419 patients experienced 110 AEs. Ninety-five AEs were mild, 9 were moderate, and 6 were severe in intensity. Eight patients discontinued the study due to AEs. There was no significant difference in incidence of AEs among groups (P = 0.0884). The most common AE was headache (12 patients [2.9%]), followed by dizziness (11 patients [2.6%]) and elevated blood creatine phosphokinase levels (6 patients [1.4%]).
Fimasartan combined with amlodipine produced superior blood pressure reductions and low levels of AEs compared with either monotherapy. Therefore, a single-pill combination with fimasartan 60 mg/amlodipine 10 mg will be developed. ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01518998.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 2013 ESH/ESC guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).J Hypertens. 2013; 31: 1281-1357
- Outcomes in hypertensive patients at high cardiovascular risk treated with regimens based on valsartan or amlodipine: the VALUE randomised trial.Lancet. 2004; 363: 2022-2031
- Benazepril plus amlodipine or hydrochlorothiazide for hypertension in high-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 2417-2428
- Efficacy and tolerability of fimasartan, a new angiotensin receptor blocker, compared with losartan (50/100 mg): a 12-week, phase III, multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, dose escalation clinical trial with an optional 12-week extension phase in adult Korean patients with mild-to-moderate hypertension.Clin Ther. 2012; 34 (568 e1–9): 552-568
- Efficacy and safety of 30-mg fimasartan for the treatment of patients with mild to moderate hypertension: an 8-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, phase III clinical study.Clin Ther. 2014; 36: 1412-1421
- Ambulatory blood pressure response to once-daily fimasartan: an 8-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, active-comparator, parallel-group study in Korean patients with mild to moderate essential hypertension.Clin Ther. 2013; 35: 1337-1349
- Efficacy and tolerability of once-daily oral fimasartan 20 to 240 mg/d in Korean patients with hypertension: findings from two Phase II, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies.Clin Ther. 2012; 34: 1273-1289
- Safety and efficacy of fimasartan in patients with arterial hypertension (Safe-KanArb study): an open-label observational study.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2013; 13: 47-56
- Increased systemic exposure of fimasartan, an angiotensin II receptor antagonist, by ketoconazole and rifampicin.J Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 53: 75-81
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic model of fimasartan applied to predict the influence of a high fat diet on its blood pressure-lowering effect in healthy subjects.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 69: 11-20
- Safety tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of fimasartan following single and repeated oral administration in the fasted and fed states in healthy subjects.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2011; 11: 335-346
- The effect of the newly developed angiotensin receptor II antagonist fimasartan on the pharmacokinetics of atorvastatin in relation to OATP1B1 in healthy male volunteers.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2011; 58: 492-499
- Influence of hepatic dysfunction on the pharmacokinetics and safety of fimasartan.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2013; 62: 524-529
- Effect of age on the pharmacokinetics of fimasartan (BR-A-657).Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2011; 7: 1337-1344
- Pharmacokinetic interaction of fimasartan, a new angiotensin II receptor antagonist, with amlodipine in healthy volunteers.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2011; 57: 682-689
- Review: a single-pill combination of telmisartan plus amlodipine for the treatment of hypertension.Postgrad Med. 2011; 123: 58-65
- Two multicenter, 8-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group studies evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of amlodipine and valsartan in combination and as monotherapy in adult patients with mild to moderate essential hypertension.Clin Ther. 2007; 29: 563-580
- Role of combination therapy in the treatment of hypertension: focus on valsartan plus amlodipine.Adv Ther. 2008; 25: 300-320
- Blood pressure and metabolic effect of a combination of lercanidipine with different antihypertensive drugs in clinical practice.Clin Exp Hypertens. 2012; 34: 113-117
- Comparative efficacy and safety profile of amlodipine 5 mg/losartan 50 mg fixed-dose combination and amlodipine 10 mg monotherapy in hypertensive patients who respond poorly to amlodipine 5 mg monotherapy: an 8-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind phase III noninferiority study.Clin Ther. 2011; 33: 1953-1963
- Optimization of hypertension management: the role of angiotensin receptor blocker-calcium channel blocker combinations.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2009; 53: 352-358
- Telmisartan and amlodipine single-pill combinations vs amlodipine monotherapy for superior blood pressure lowering and improved tolerability in patients with uncontrolled hypertension: results of the TEAMSTA-5 study.J Clin Hypertens. 2011; 13: 459-466
- Effect of telmisartan addition to amlodipine on ankle edema development in treating hypertensive patients.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011; 12: 2441-2448
- Phase IV, 8-week, multicenter, randomized, active treatment-controlled, parallel group, efficacy, and tolerability study of high-dose candesartan cilexetil combined with hydrochlorothiazide in Korean adults with stage II hypertension.Clin Ther. 2011; 33: 1043-1056
- Supramaximal dose of candesartan in proteinuric renal disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 893-900
- High dose treatment with angiotensin II receptor blocker in patients with hypertension: differential effect of tissue protection versus blood pressure lowering.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 197: 303-310
- Quantification of pedal edema during treatment with S(−)-amlodipine nicotinate versus amlodipine besylate in female Korean patients with mild to moderate hypertension: a 12-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, active-controlled, phase IV clinical trial.Clin Ther. 2012; 34: 1940-1947
Published online: April 04, 2015
Accepted: February 4, 2015
© 2015 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.