Both mirodenafil, a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, and tamsulosin, a selective α1A-adrenergic receptor antagonist for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia, have mild vasodilational effects.
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of mirodenafil on the hemodynamics of healthy volunteers who were administered tamsulosin.
Healthy, Korean normotensive male volunteers were enrolled in a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, 2-sequence, 2-period crossover study. Mirodenafil 100 mg or placebo was administered orally after pretreatment with tamsulosin 0.2 mg once daily for 7 days in each period, with a 1-week washout period. Blood pressure (BP) and pulse rate (PR) in supine and standing positions were measured repeatedly before and until 24 hours after the administration of mirodenafil or placebo. The mean differences from the baseline values of the maximum changes of BP and PR, which were measured at 4 and 24 hours, were analyzed by using a mixed-effects model.
Eighteen subjects (mean [SD] age, 26.8 [3.9] years; weight, 65.5 [7.0] kg) were administered any trial medication, and 16 of them completed the study. For 4 hours/24 hours after mirodenafil administration, the mean maximal changes from baseline versus placebo in supine systolic BP, diastolic BP, and PR were −1.0 mm Hg (95% CI, −4.2 to 2.2) (P = 0.53)/−1.2 mm Hg (95% CI, −5.3 to 2.9) (P = 0.56), −2.1 mm Hg (95% CI, −4.6 to 0.4) (P = 0.10)/−1.1 mm Hg (95% CI, −3.9 to 1.6) (P = 0.39), and 7.2 beats/min (95% CI, 4.7 to 9.6) (P < 0.05)/4.8 beats/min (95% CI, 1.4 to 8.1) (P < 0.05), respectively. Those changes in a standing position were −4.0 mm Hg (95% CI, −8.9 to 0.9) (P = 0.10)/−4.3 mm Hg (95% CI, −10.0 to 1.5) (P = 0.13), −1.1 mm Hg (95% CI, −4.9 to 2.7) (P = 0.54)/−1.9 mm Hg (95% CI, −5.5 to 1.7) (P = 0.27), and 10.7 beats/min (95% CI, 4.4 to 16.9) (P < 0.05)/6.0 beats/min (95% CI, 0.7 to 11.3) (P < 0.05), respectively. A total of 33 adverse events (AEs) were reported in 9 of 18 subjects. The number of subjects with AEs (P = 0.13) and the number of AEs (P = 0.26) were not significantly different between the 2 groups. The most common AEs were vasodilational symptoms, such as nasal congestion, headache, and flushing.
The coadministration of mirodenafil 100 mg did not induce a significant decrease in BP when associated with an increase in PR in these healthy male Korean volunteers administered tamsulosin 0.2 mg compared with placebo. (Clinical Trial Registry, http://cris.cdc.go.kr/cris/en/: KCT0000117).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of erectile dysfunction: results of the ‘Cologne Male Survey’.Int J Impot Res. 2000; 12: 305-311
- The role of alpha1-adrenergic receptor subtypes in lower urinary tract symptoms.BJU Int. 2001; 88 (discussion 49–50): 27-34
- Antagonism of Rho-kinase stimulates rat penile erection via a nitric oxide-independent pathway.Nat Med. 2001; 7: 119-122
- Mechanisms of endothelial dysfunction in the metabolic syndrome.Curr Diab Rep. 2003; 3: 289-292
- Hyperinsulinaemia as a risk factor for developing benign prostatic hyperplasia.Eur Urol. 2001; 39: 151-158
- Hemodynamic and Exercise Effects of Phosphodiesterase 5 Inhibitors.Am J Cardiol. 2005; 96: 32M-36M
- Modulation of bladder alpha1-adrenergic receptor subtype expression by bladder outlet obstruction.J Urol. 2002; 167: 1513-1521
- Mechanisms of action of PDE5 inhibition in erectile dysfunction.Int J Impot Res. 2004; 16: S4-S7
- Effects of sildenafil citrate on human hemodynamics.Am J Cardiol. 1999; 83: 13C-20C
- Cardiovascular effects of tadalafil.Am J Cardiol. 2003; 92: 37M-46M
- Alpha1-adrenergic receptors in the lower urinary tract and vascular bed: potential role for the alpha1d subtype in filling symptoms and effects of ageing on vascular expression.BJU Int. 2000; 85: 6-11
- Clinical comparison of selective and non-selective alpha 1A-adrenoreceptor antagonists in benign prostatic hyperplasia: studies on tamsulosin in a fixed dose and terazosin in increasing doses.Br J Urol. 1997; 80: 606-611
- The effects of tamsulosin and sildenafil in separate and combined regimens on detailed hemodynamics in patients with benign prostatic enlargement.J Urol. 2006; 176: 2551-2556
- Simultaneous administration of vardenafil and tamsulosin does not induce clinically significant hypotension in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia.Urology. 2004; 64 (discussion 1003–1004): 998-1003
- Interaction between the phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor, tadalafil and 2 alpha-blockers, doxazosin and tamsulosin in healthy normotensive men.J Urol. 2004; 172: 1935-1940
- Platelet activation in normo- and hyperlipoproteinemias.Basic Res Cardiol. 1986; 81: 437-453
- Simvastatin administration reduces thromboxane production in subjects taking aspirin: links between aspirin resistance and thrombin generation.Int J Cardiol. 2012; 154: 59-64
- Comparative consistency between obesity determination standards using body mass index and ideal body weight.J Korean Acad Fam Med. 2001; 22: 1765-1771
- Consensus statement on the definition of orthostatic hypotension, pure autonomic failure, and multiple system atrophy.J Neurol Sci. 1996; 144: 218-219
- The effects of ketoconazole and rifampicin on the pharmacokinetics of mirodenafil in healthy Korean male volunteers: an open-label, one-sequence, three-period, three-treatment crossover study.Clin Ther. 2009; 31: 3009-3020
- Influence of alcohol on the hemodynamic effects and pharmacokinetic properties of mirodenafil: a single-dose, randomized-sequence, open-label, crossover study in healthy male volunteers in Korea.Clin Ther. 2009; 31: 1234-1243
- Diagnostics for mixed-model analysis of variance.Technometrics. 1987; 29: 413-426
- Effect of human serum albumin on drug metabolism: structural evidence of esterase activity of human serum albumin.J Struct Biol. 2007; 157: 348-355
- Circadian profile of systemic hemodynamics.Hypertension. 1995; 26: 55-59
- Enhanced plasma norepinephrine response to upright posture and oral glucose administration in elderly human subjects.Metabolism. 1980; 29: 532-539
- Functional changes in autonomic nervous responses with ageing.Age Ageing. 1980; 9: 17-24
- Spectral characteristics of heart rate variability before and during postural tilt.Circulation. 1990; 81: 1803-1810
- Accuracy of assessment of cardiac vagal tone by heart rate variability in normal subjects.Am J Cardiol. 1991; 67: 199-204
- Effect of aging on left ventricular diastolic filling in normal subjects.Am J Cardiol. 1987; 59: 971-974
- Human aging: changes in structure and function.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1987; 10: 42A-47A
- Pharmacology and drug interaction effects of the phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitors: focus on alpha-blocker interactions.Am J Cardiol. 2005; 96: 42M-46M
- The epidemiology of benign prostatic hyperplasia and observations on concomitant hypertension.Scand J Urol Nephrol Suppl. 1995; 168: 7-12
Published online: August 27, 2012
Accepted: August 6, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.