Fat metabolism is known to be altered in hypertriglyceridemia. Fat oxidation requires carnitine, which can be obtained either from the diet (animal or dairy products) or through synthesis in the body using both lysine and vitamin B6.
The goal of this study was to investigate the effect of lysine, vitamin B6, and carnitine supplementation on both glycemia and the lipid profiles, specifically triglyceride (TG) levels, in men with hypertriglyceridemia.
This 12-week, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial was conducted at a Lebanese medical center. A total of 85 hypertriglyceridemic (TG> 150 mg/dL) male patients were randomized to 1 of 5 groups and given supplements of lysine (1 g/d), vitamin B6 (50 mg/d), lysine (1 g/d) + vitamin B6 (50 mg/d), carnitine (1 g/d), or placebo for 12 weeks. The lipid profile (TG, total cholesterol, LDL-C, and HDL-C) and fasting plasma glucose levels were assessed at baseline and at 6 and 12 weeks.
Adults (∼50 years) Lebanese males from a low socioeconomic status in Beirut were given the appropriate supplements. Vitamin B6 supplementation was associated with a significant reduction in total cholesterol and HDL-C of ∼10%. In addition, plasma TG was reduced by 36.6 mg/dL at 6 weeks, whereas levels in the placebo group increased by 18 mg/dL; this difference failed to reach statistical significance. No major changes in the lipid profile were observed in the lysine and carnitine groups or when lysine was added to vitamin B6.
Vitamin B6 supplementation in these male patients with hypertriglyceridemia reduced plasma total cholesterol and HDL-C concentrations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hypertiglyceridemia.Heart. 2006; 92: 1529-1539
- Hypertriglyceridemia: its etiology, effects and treatment.CMAJ. 2007; 176: 1113-1120
- Hepatic carnitine palmitoyltransferase turnover and translation rates in fed, starved, streptozotocin-diabetic and diethylhexyl phthalate-treated rats.Biochem J. 1987; 246: 641-649
- Carnitine biosynthesis in mammals.Biochem J. 2002; 361: 417-429
- Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism.4th ed. Wadsworth, 2005
- Risk assessment for carnitine.Regul Toxicol Parmacol. 2006; 46: 23-28
- Correlation of carnitine levels to methionine and lysine intake.Physiol Res. 2000; 49: 399-402
- Dietary lysine and carnitine: relation to growth and fatty livers in rats.J Nutr. 1976; 106: 111-117
- Tissue carnitine deficiency due to dietary lysine deficiency: triglyceride accumulation and concomitant impairment in fatty acid oxidation.J Nutr. 1979; 109: 24-31
- Lysine requirement through the human life cycle.J Nutr. 2007; 137: 1642S-1645S
- Lysine fortification: past, present, and future.Food Nutr Bull. 2004; 25: 107-113
- In vivo evidence for a vitamin B6 requirement in carnitine synthesis.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 258-265
- The effects of 1-amino-D-proline on the production of carnitine from exogenous protein-bound trimethyllysine by the perfused rat liver.J Biol Chem. 1982; 257: 7948-7951
- Urinary, plasma, and erythrocyte carnitine concentrations during transition to a lactoovovegetarian diet with vitamin B-6 depletion and repletion in young adult women.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 67: 221-230
- Prevalence and correlates of metabolic syndrome in an adult Lebanese population.CVD Prevention and Control. 2008; 3: 83-90
- Established and suspected biomarkers of cardiovascular disease risk in pre-menopausal Lebanese women.Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 2008; 47: 298-311
- Accessed January 23, 2008)
- The effects of different formulations of oral contraceptive agents on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism.N Engl J Med. 1990; 323 (1375–1338)
- The effect of a subnormal dose of vitamin B6 on plasma lipid in the rat.Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1997; 67: 95-101
- Pyridoxine reduces cholesterol and increases antithrombin III activity in 80-year-old men with low plasma pyridoxal-5-phosphate.Scan J Clin Lab Invest. 1990; 50: 873-877
- Interaction among dietary vitamin B6, proteins and lipids: effects on liver lipids in rats.Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1994; 64: 263-269
- Influence of prostaglandin E1 on high density lipoprotein-fraction lipid levels in rats.Biochem Med Metab Biol. 1986; 36: 114-117
- Pyridoxal-5′-phosphate inhibits non-enzymatic glycosylation of proteins.Biochem Arch. 1985; 1: 143-151
- Inhibition of heparin-catalyzed hyman antithrombin III activity by nonenzymatic glycosylation: possible role of fibrin deposition in diabetes.Diabetes. 1984; 33: 532-535
- Nonenzymatic glycosylation of low density lipoproteins in vitro: effects on cell-interactive properties.Diabetes. 1981; 30: 875-878
- Modulation of steroid receptor-mediated gene expression by vitamin B6.FASEB J. 1994; 8: 343-349
- Hypercortisolism and obesity.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1995; 771: 655-676
- Relationship of sex hormones to lipids and lipoproteins in nondiabetic men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993; 77: 1610-1615
- The effect of L-carnitine on plasma lipoprotein (a) levels in hypercholesterolemic patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Clin Ther. 2003; 25: 1429-1439
- Effect of L-carnitine on plasma glycemic and lipidemic profile in patients with type II diabetes mellitus.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005; 59: 592-596
- Effect of oral supplementation of free amino acids in type 2 diabetic patients—a pilot clinical trial.Med Sci Monit. 2002; 8: CR132-C137
- Lysine ingestion markedly attenuates the glucose response to ingested glucose without a change in insulin response.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 314-320
- Soybean increases insulin receptor gene expression in fatty rats when polyunsaturated fatty acid level is low.J Nutr. 1997; 127: 1077-1083
- Improved insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activity in monocytes of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients receiving oral L-lysine as supplement.Ind J Bioch Biophy. 2001; 18: 277-282
Published online: July 23, 2012
Accepted: June 19, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.