Dronedarone is a therapy for the treatment of patients with paroxysmal and persistent atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. According to results in the ATHENA trial, dronedarone on top of standard of care (SOC) decreases the risk of cardiovascular hospitalizations or death by 24% compared with SOC alone.
A patient-level health economic model was developed to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of dronedarone on top of SOC versus SOC alone.
The risk of experiencing stroke, congestive heart failure, acute coronary syndromes, treatment discontinuation, and death was modeled by separate health states, whereas adverse events were included as 1-time cost and utility decrements. State transition probabilities were primarily deduced from the patient-level data from ATHENA using survival analysis. Four sets of analyses were performed to reflect costs and treatment effects in Canada, Italy, Sweden, and Switzerland. Cost-effectiveness analysis was also conducted in a newly defined patient population identified by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to avoid the use of dronedarone in permanent AF patients resembling those in the PALLAS study.
The predicted survival time was, for the Canadian cohort, extended from 10.11 to 10.24 years when dronedarone was added to SOC. Similar results were found for the other countries, resulting in incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs) of €5828, €5873, €14,970, and €8554 per QALYs for Canada, Italy, Sweden, and, Switzerland, respectively. These results are all well below current established cost-effectiveness thresholds. In the EMA-restricted population, all patients were predicted to live longer, and the ICER increased but remained within established thresholds, with an average cost per QALY gained of €15,900.
Dronedarone on top of SOC appears to be a cost-effective treatment for atrial fibrillation compared with SOC alone. Despite the differences in the local settings considered, the results were consistent among all the countries included in the study. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00174785.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence, incidence, prognosis, and predisposing conditions for atrial fibrillation: population-based estimates.Am J Cardiol. 1998; 82: 2N-9N
- Impact of atrial fibrillation on the risk of death: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 1998; 98: 946-952
- Atrial Fibrillation: National Clinical Guideline for Management in Primary and Secondary Care.Royal College of Physicians, London2006
- Dronedarone: an emerging agent with rhythm- and rate-controlling effects.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006; 17: S17-S20
- Effect of dronedarone on cardiovascular events in atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 668-678
- European Medicines Agency recommends restricting use of Multaq.http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2011/09/news_detail_001344.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1&jsenabled=true(Accessed September 22, 2011)
- Costs of atrial fibrillation in five European countries: results from the Euro Heart Survey on atrial fibrillation.Europace. 2008; 10: 403-411
- Predictors of costs related to cardiovascular disease among patients with atrial fibrillation in five European countries.Europace. 2011; 13: 23-30
- Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata.Stata Press, College Station, TX2005
- Parametric survival models and decision models: relating continuous hazards to discrete-time transition probabilities.in: Paper presented at the Health Economists' Study Group Conference, Glasgow, UK, June 30–July 2 20042004
- Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2864-2870
- Worldwide stroke incidence and early case fatality reported in 56 population-based studies: a systematic review.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 355-369
- Cost effectiveness of hormone therapy in women at high risks of fracture in Sweden, the US and the UK--results based on the Women's Health Initiative randomised controlled trial.Bone. 2008; 42: 294-306
- Survival trends in men and women with heart failure of ischaemic and non-ischaemic origin: data for the period 1987-2003 from the Swedish Hospital Discharge Registry.Eur Heart J. 2009; 30: 671-678
- Mortality from Eurostat.Accessed January 1, 2007)
- Accessed May 19, 2009)
- OANDA - Forex trading and exchange rates services.Accessed May 2, 2010)
- European public assessment report (EPAR) for Multaq.http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/medicines/human/medicines/001043/human_med_001207.jsp&murl=menus/medicines/medicines.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058001d125&jsenabled=true(Accessed February 17, 2012)
- Multaq prescribing information.Accessed February 2, 2012)
- Factors determining utility measured with the EQ-5D in patients with atrial fibrillation.Qual Life Res. 2010; 19: 381-390
- Cost and caregiver consequences of early supported discharge for stroke patients.Stroke. 2003; 34: 528-536
- Depression and health-care cost during the first year following a myocardial infarction.J Psychosom Res. 2000; 48: 471-478
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.The Guidelines Manual. 2007;
- A comparison of on-pump and off-pump coronary bypass surgery in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 394-402
- Comparing cost/utility of giving an aromatase inhibitor as monotherapy for 5 years versus sequential administration following 2–3 or 5 years of tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for postmenopausal breast cancer.Ann Oncol. 2006; 17: 217-225
- Cost-effectiveness of postural exercise therapy versus physiotherapy in computer screen-workers with early non-specific work-related upper limb disorders (WRULD); a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2009; 10: 103
- Cost-effectiveness of rhythm versus rate control in atrial fibrillation.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 653-661
- A comparison of rate control and rhythm control in patients with recurrent persistent atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1834-1840
- Cost-effectiveness of cardioversion and antiarrhythmic therapy in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 625-636
- Cost-effectiveness of therapies for patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1669-1677
- The Cost of Hospital Stay: Why Cost Vary.Ottawa, Canada. 2008;
- An economic evaluation of clopidogrel vs.aspirin in secondary prevention of ischemic events in high risk atherothrombotic patients in Italy.Value Health. 2004; 7: 686-687
- http://www.skane.se/upload/Webbplatser/Sodra%20regionvardsnamnden/prislista/2009/20_34_norddrg_fullversion09.pdf(Accessed May 2, 2010)
- http://www.skane.se/upload/Webbplatser/Sodra%20regionvardsnamnden/prislista/2009/35_45_norddrg_halland09.pdf(Accessed May 2, 2010)
- Accessed May 2, 2010)
- http://www.vgregion.se/upload/svn%20-%20samverkansn%c3%a4mden/Utoml%c3%a4nsprislista%202009.pdf?epslanguage=sv(Accessed May 2, 2010)
- Accessed May 2, 1010)
- Accessed May 2, 2010)
- Accessed May 2, 2010)
- Ontario Case Costing Initiative.Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Ontario, Canada2008
- Gesundheitsökonomische aspekte der chronischen herzinsuffizienz.Schweizeriche Ärztezeitung. 2003; 84: 2431-2435
- Krankenhausstatistik 2007 - Standardtabellen.Accessed May 2, 2010)
- Cost-Weights et Swiss Payment Groups Version 6.0.Accessed May 2, 2010)
Published online: July 09, 2012
Accepted: June 4, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.