Beclomethasone dipropionate (BDP) is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that is rapidly metabolized to the pharmacologically active monoester, beclomethasone-17-monopropionate (17-BMP). Recently, a hydrofluoroalkane (HFA)–propelled nasal aerosol formulation of BDP was developed to treat allergic rhinitis. However, the pharmacokinetic profile of BDP HFA nasal aerosol has not been previously investigated.
This study evaluated and compared the systemic levels of 17-BMP and BDP after a single dose of intranasally administered or orally inhaled BDP HFA in healthy subjects.
In this single-center, randomized, open-label, 3-period crossover study, healthy subjects received single doses of intranasal BDP HFA (80 and 320 μg) and orally inhaled BDP HFA (320 μg). The primary pharmacokinetic parameters assessed were area under the concentration-time curve until the last measurable value (AUClast) and Cmax for 17-BMP. For AUClast and Cmax, point estimates for treatment differences and CIs were calculated on the log scale and then exponentiated to provide estimates of the geometric mean ratios (GMRs) and associated CIs.
Thirty subjects were randomized to receive study medication (aged 18–45 years, 66.7% male). Mean plasma concentrations of 17-BMP after intranasal administration of BDP HFA (for both 80- and 320-μg doses) were substantially lower than that of orally inhaled BDP HFA (320 μg) across all time points. Mean AUClast values of 17-BMP for intranasal 80 μg, intranasal 320 μg, and orally inhaled 320 μg were 295.8, 1139.7, and 4140.3 pg·hr/mL, respectively. Mean Cmax values were 92.1, 262.7, and 1343.7 pg/mL, respectively. The GMR of AUClast for 17-BMP with intranasal BDP HFA 320 μg versus orally inhaled BDP HFA 320 μg was 0.275, indicating substantially lower systemic bioavailability with intranasal administration than with oral inhalation. Similarly, the GMR of AUClast for 17-BMP with intranasal BDP HFA 80 μg versus 320 μg was 0.260, suggesting approximate dose proportionality (4-fold difference). Pharmacokinetic results for BDP were similar to those seen for 17-BMP. All doses of intranasal and orally inhaled BDP HFA were well tolerated, and no treatment-related adverse events were reported.
The results of this study suggest that 80 and 320 μg BDP HFA nasal aerosols have substantially lower systemic bioavailability than 320 μg orally inhaled BDP HFA in healthy subjects. All treatments were well tolerated. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01537692.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Allergic rhinitis.Lancet. 2011; 378: 2112-2122
- The diagnosis and management of rhinitis: an updated practice parameter.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 122: S1-S84
- Allergic rhinitis: definition, epidemiology, pathophysiology, detection, and diagnosis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 108: S2-S8
- Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 108: S147-S334
- Intranasal corticosteroids versus oral H1 receptor antagonists in allergic rhinitis: systematic review of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 1998; 317: 1624-1629
- Is there a role for aerosol nasal sprays in the treatment of allergic rhinitis.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2011; 32: 168-177
- Insights on allergic rhinitis from the patient perspective.J Fam Pract. 2012; 61: S16-S22
- Patient and physician perspectives on the attributes of nasal allergy medications.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2007; 28: S11-S17
- Beconase AQ (beclomethasone dipropionate, monohydrate) nasal spray, 42 mcg.([prescribing information]) GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC2005
- Montreal Protocol.Accessed September 28, 2011)
- QVAR 40 mcg (beclomethasone dipropionate HFA, 40 mcg) inhalation aerosol for oral inhalation only; QVAR 80 mcg (beclomethasone dipropionate HFA, 80 mcg) inhalation aerosol for oral inhalation only.([prescribing information]) Teva Respiratory, LLC, Horsham, PA2010
- Safety and efficacy of once-daily treatment with beclomethasone dipropionate nasal aerosol in subjects with perennial allergic rhinitis.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2012; 33: 249-257
- Beclomethasone dipropionate: absolute bioavailability, pharmacokinetics and metabolism following intravenous, oral, intranasal and inhaled administration in man.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 51: 400-409
- Beclomethasone relative availability of oral versus inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate from an HFA-134A metered dose inhaler.Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1998; 19: 297-302
- Effects of inhaled steroids on growth, bone metabolism, and adrenal function.Adv Pediatr. 2006; 53: 101-110
- How the lung handles drugs: pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of inhaled corticosteroids.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2004; 1: 356-363
- Inhaled and nasal corticosteroids: factors affecting the risks of systemic adverse effects.Pharmacol Ther. 1999; 83: 153-179
- Pharmacokinetics of ciclesonide and desisobutyryl ciclesonide after administration via aqueous nasal spray or hydrofluoroalkane nasal aerosol compared with orally inhaled ciclesonide: an open-label, single-dose, three-period crossover study in healthy volunteers.Clin Ther. 2009; 31: 2988-2999
Published online: May 24, 2012
Accepted: April 24, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.