Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Dificid [package insert].Optimer Pharmaceutics, San Diego, Calif2011
- A portrait of the geographic dissemination of the Clostridium difficile North American pulsed-field type 1 strain and the epidemiology of C. difficile-associated disease in Quebec.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 238-244
- Emergence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in North America and Europe.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2006; 12: 2-18
- A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2442-2449
- Clostridium difficile infection in patients discharged from US short-stay hospitals, 1996-2003.Emerg Infect Dis. 2006; 12: 409-415
- A large outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated disease with an unexpected proportion of deaths and colectomies at a teaching hospital following increased fluoroquinolone use.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005; 26: 273-280
- Update of Clostridium difficile infection due to PCR ribotype 027 in Europe, 2008.Euro Surveill. 2008; 13: 1-7
- Disease associated with Clostridium difficile infection.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 110: 255-257
- Clostridium difficile: its disease and toxins.Clin Microbiol Rev. 1988; 1: 1-18
- Review of Clostridium difficile-associated diseases.Am J Infect Control. 1986; 14: 99-109
- Clostridium difficile colitis in the critically ill.Dis Colon Rectum. 1996; 39: 619-623
- Factors associated with prolonged symptoms and severe disease due to Clostridium difficile.Age Ageing. 1999; 28: 107-113
- Clostridium difficile in the intensive care unit: epidemiology, costs, and colonization pressure.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 123-130
- Health care costs and mortality associated with nosocomial diarrhea due to Clostridium difficile.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 34: 346-353
- Prevalence and characteristics of bacteria and host factors in an outbreak situation of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea.J Med Microbiol. 2005; 54: 149-153
- Clostridium difficile: history of its role as an enteric pathogen and the current state of knowledge about the organism.Clin Infect Dis. 1994; 18: S265-S272
- Clostridium difficile-related hospitalizations among US adults, 2006.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 122-124
- The emerging infectious challenge of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in Massachusetts hospitals: clinical and economic consequences.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 1219-1227
- An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2433-2441
- Prevalence and characterization of a binary toxin (actin-specific adp-ribosyltransferase) from Clostridium difficile.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 1933-1939
- Toxin production by an emerging strain of Clostridium difficile associated with outbreaks of severe disease in North America and Europe.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1079-1084
- Health care-associated clostridium difficile infection in adults admitted to acute care hospitals in Canada: a Canadian nosocomial infection surveillance program study.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 568-576
- Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA).Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 431-455
- Vancocin [package insert]. ViroPharma, Inc, Exton, Pa2005
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in a region of Quebec from 1991 to 2003: a changing pattern of disease severity.CMAJ. 2004; 171: 466-472
- A comparison of vancomycin and metronidazole for the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, stratified by disease severity.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45: 302-307
Louie T., Gerson M., Grimard D., et al. Results of a phase III trial comparing tolevamer, vancomycin and metronidazole in Clostridium difficile-Associated Diarrhea (CDAD). Abstract presented at: 47th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 17–20, 2007; Chicago, Ill.
- Emergence of reduced susceptibility to metronidazole in Clostridium difficile.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008; 62: 1046-1052
- Both oral metronidazole and oral vancomycin promote persistent overgrowth of vancomycin-resistant enterococci during treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated disease.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008; 52: 2403-2406
- Skin and environmental contamination with vancomycin-resistant enterococci in patients receiving oral metronidazole or oral vancomycin treatment for Clostridium difficile-associated disease.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 13-17
- New antibiotics for selective treatment of gastrointestinal infection caused by Clostridium difficile.Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2010; 20: 1389-1399
- Efficacy of rifaximin and vancomycin combination therapy in a patient with refractory Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2007; 41: 932-933
- Intravenous tigecycline as adjunctive or alternative therapy for severe refractory Clostridium difficile infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 1732-1735
- Interruption of recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea episodes by serial therapy with vancomycin and rifaximin.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 846-848
- Clinical outcomes of intravenous immune globulin in severe Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: 131-137
- Breaking the cycle: treatment strategies for 163 cases of recurrent Clostridium difficile disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97: 1769-1775
- Clostridium difficile colitis that fails conventional metronidazole therapy: response to nitazoxanide.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007; 59: 705-710
- Management and outcomes of a first recurrence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in Quebec, Canada.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: 758-764
- Lipiarmycin, a new antibiotic from actinoplanes.J Antibiot. 1975; 28: 253-259
- Lipiarmycin, a new antibiotic from actinoplanes.J Antibiot. 1975; 28: 247-252
- Lipiarmycin, a new antibiotic from actinoplanes.J Antibiot. 1975; 28: 543-549
- Mutation in the bacillus subtilis RNA polymerase beta' subunit confers resistance to lipiarmycin.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006; 50: 401-402
- Inhibition by lipiarmycin of bacteriophage growth in Bacillus subtilis.J Virol. 1980; 33: 945-953
- In vitro activity of OPT-80 against Clostridium difficile.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004; 48: 2280-2282
- Postantibiotic effect of fidaxomicin and its major metabolite (OP-1118) against Clostridium difficile.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 4427-4429
Babakhani F., Robert N., Shangle S., et al. Antimicrobial activity and post-antibiotic effect (PAE) of OPT-80, a new macrocyclic compound, against Clostridium difficile. Abstract presented at: 44th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; October 29 -November 2, 2004; Washington, DC.
Babakhani F., Seddon J., Robert N., et al. Narrow spectrum activity and low fecal protein binding of OPT-80 and its major hydrolysis metabolite (OP-1118). Abstract presented at: 47th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 17-20, 2007; Chicago, Ill.
- Typing and susceptibility of bacterial isolates from the fidaxomicin (OPT-80) phase II study for C. difficile infection.Anaerobe. 2009; 15: 234-236
- Activity of OPT-80, a novel macrocycle, compared with those of eight other agents against selected anaerobic species.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004; 48: 4430-4434
- In vitro activities of OPT-80 and comparator drugs against intestinal bacteria.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004; 48: 4898-4902
- In vitro activities of 15 antimicrobial agents against 110 toxigenic Clostridium difficile clinical isolates collected from 1983 to 2004.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007; 51: 2716-2719
Karlowsky J.A., Laing N.M., Alfa M., et al. In vitro antimicrobial activities of OPT-80, rifaximin, tigecycline, and comparators against toxin-positive Clostridium difficile cultured from diarrheal stool specimens. Abstract presented at: 47th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 17- 20, 2007; Chicago, Ill.
- Killing kinetics of fidaxomicin and its major metabolite, OP-1118, against Clostridium difficile.J Med Microbiol. 2011; 60: 1213-1217
- In vitro activity of fidaxomicin (OPT-80) tested against contemporary clinical isolates of Staphylococcus spp. and Enterococcus spp.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 2273-2275
- OPT-80 eliminates Clostridium difficile and is sparing of bacteroides species during treatment of C.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 261-263
Nerandzic M.M., Mullane K.M., Miller M.A., et al. Acquisition and overgrowth of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in patients treated with either fidaxomicin (FDX) or vancomycin (VAN) for Clostridium difficile infection. Abstract presented at: 49th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 12-15, 2009; San Francisco, Calif.
Babakhani F., Shangle S., Robert N., et al. Resistance development, crossresistance, and synergy studies of OPT-80. Abstract presented at: 44th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; October 29-November 2, 2004; Washington, DC.
Miller M., Mastrantonio P., Blanchette R., et al. Rifampin, rifaximin, OPT-80 and tigecycline susceptibility of C. difficile strains from Canada and Italy. Abstract presented at: 49th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 12-15, 2009; San Francisco, Calif.
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of tiacumicins b and c against Clostridium difficile.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991; 35: 1108-1111
- Safety, tolerance, and pharmacokinetic studies of OPT-80 in healthy volunteers following single and multiple oral doses.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008; 52: 1391-1395
- Clinical outcomes, safety, and pharmacokinetics of OPT-80 in a phase 2 trial with patients with Clostridium difficile infection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 223-228
Louie T., Miller M., Crook D., et al. Effect of advancing age on outcomes of therapy for Clostridium difficile infection. Abstract presented at: Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society; May 11-14, 2011; Washington, DC.
Crook D., Weiss K., Cornely O.A., et al. Randomized clinical trial in Clostridium difficile infection confirms equivalent cure rate and lower recurrence rate of fidaxomicin versus vancomycin. Abstract presented at: 20th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, April 10-13, 2010; Vienna, Austria.
Mullane K., Golan Y., Crook D., et al. Renal impairment and response to fidaxomicin versus vancomycin in patients with clostridium difficile infection. Abstract presented at: 49th Annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America; October 20-23, 2011; Boston, Mass.
- Fidaxomicin versus vancomycin for Clostridium difficile infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 422-431
Cheknis A.K., Citron D.M., Nagaro K.J., et al. Epidemic BI/NAP1 is the dominant strain of Clostridium difficile found in patients in the OPT-80 vs. Vancomycin clinical trial in North American and the European Union. Abstract presented at: 48th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; October 25-28, 2008; Washington, DC.
Golan Y., Mullane K.M., Miller M.A., et al. Low recurrence rate among patients with C. difficile infection (CDI) treated with fidaxomicin (FDX). Abstract presented at: 49th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 12-15, 2009; San Francisco, Calif.
Gorbach S., Weiss K., Sears P., et al. Safety of fidaxomicin versus vancomycin in treatment of Clostridium difficile infection. Abstract presented at: 49th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 12-15, 2009; San Francisco, Calif.
- Comparative susceptibilities of fidaxomicin (OPT-80) of isolates collected at baseline, recurrence, and failure from patients in two fidaxomicin phase III trials of Clostridium difficile infection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 5194-5199
- Efficacy of fidaxomicin versus vancomycin as therapy for Clostridium difficile infection in individuals taking concomitant antibiotics for other concurrent infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 440-447
Okumu F., Walsh R.B., Sears P., et al. Safety and pharmacokinetics of OPT- 80, a novel antibiotic for treatment of Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD). Abstract presented at: 44th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; October 29-November 2, 2004; Washington, DC.
- Drug Topics Red Book. Thompson Medical Economics, Montvale, NJ2011