This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background: Folic acid supplementation in patients with folic acid deficiency has been associated with increased clearance of phenytoin to its cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2C9-mediated metabolite, 5-(4′-hydroxyphenyl)-5-phenylhydantoin.
Objective: The aim of this study was to determine whether folic acid supplementation increases the dosage requirement of the CYP2C9 substrate warfarin, and the formation clearance of the CYP2C9-mediated product, (S)-7-hydroxywarfarin.
Methods: Patients aged ≥18 years with folic acid deficiency who were receiving long-term treatment with a stable dosage of warfarin were studied prospectively, before and 30 to 60 days after the initiation of supplementation with folic acid. Warfarin dosage and international normalized ratio (INR) were documented, and the formation clearance of (S)- and (R)-7-hydroxywarfarin and the oral clearance of (S)- and (R)-warfarin were determined.
Results: Twenty-four white patients (14 males; mean (SD) age, 55.0 [19.7] years; body mass index, 30.64 [6.8] kg/m2) were enrolled. Treatment with folic acid was associated with a significantly increased mean (SD) formation clearance of (S)-7-hydroxywarfarin (1.096 [0.816] vs 1.608 [1.302] mL/min; P = 0.048). Before folic acid supplementation, the mean (SD) warfarin dosage was 5.98 (2.12) mg/d, and the INR was 2.51 (0.55). During supplementation, the warfarin dosage was 6.17 (2.31) mg/d and the INR was 2.63 (0.65) (both, P = NS vs before supplementation).
Conclusions: Folic acid supplementation was associated with significantly increased formation clearance of (S)-7-hydroxywarfarin. Changes in warfarin dosage requirements and INR were nonsignificant.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Folate and vitamin B12 status of the elderly.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1996; 50: 340-342
- McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2008: 644-645 Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed.
- Importance of methyl donors during reproduction.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 673S-677S
- Folic acid supplementation for the prevention of neural tube defects: An update of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 632-639
- Reduction in neural-tube defects after folic acid fortification in Canada.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 135-142
- Folic acid food fortification is associated with a decline in neuro-blastoma.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003; 74: 288-294
- Effect of folic acid supplementation on risk of cardiovascular diseases: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials [published correction appears in JAMA. 2007;297:952].JAMA. 2006; 296: 2720-2726
- Homocysteine-lowering trials for prevention of cardiovascular events: A review of the design and power of the large randomized trials.Am Heart J. 2006; 151: 282-287
- Homocysteine lowering and cardiovascular events after acute myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1578-1588
- Efficacy of folic acid supplementation in stroke prevention: A meta-analysis.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1876-1882
- Effect of 3-year folic acid supplementation on cognitive function in older adults in the FACIT trial: A randomised, double blind, controlled trial.Lancet. 2007; 369: 208-216
- Effects of folic acid supplementation on hearing in older adults: A randomized, controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 146: 1-9
- Incidence and severity of potential drug-dietary supplement interactions in primary care patients: An exploratory study of 2 outpatient practices.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 630-636
- Nutraceuticals: Miracle or meme?.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 82: 352-356
- Phenytoin-folic acid interaction.Ann Pharmacother. 1995; 29: 726-735
- Folic acid improves phenytoin pharmacokinetics.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 352-356
- Influence of folic acid on blood-phenytoin levels.Lancet. 1971; 1: 62-64
- Phenytoin and folic acid interaction: A preliminary report.Ther Drug Monit. 1983; 5: 389-394
- Phenytoin metabolic ratio: A putative probe of CYP2C9 activity in vitro.Pharmacogenetics. 2001; 11: 587-596
- Cytochrome P4502C9: An enzyme of major importance in human drug metabolism.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1998; 45: 525-538
- Human P450 metabolism of warfarin.Pharmacol Ther. 1997; 73: 67-74
- Human liver cytochrome P450 enzymes involved in the 7-hydroxylation of R- and S-warfarin enantiomers.Biochem Pharmacol. 1997; 54: 1195-1203
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the enantiomers of warfarin in man.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1974; 15: 424-430
- Allelic and functional variability of cytochrome P4502C9.Pharmacogenetics. 1997; 7: 51-58
- Genetic association between sensitivity to warfarin and expression of CYP2C9*3.Pharmacogenetics. 1997; 7: 361-367
- Systematic overview of warfarin and its drug and food interactions.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1095-1106
- Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa1994: 2056 Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry. 2nd ed.
- Method for the determination of functional (clottable) fibrinogen by the new family of ACL coagulometers.Thromb Res. 1988; 52: 453-468
- Determination of unbound warfarin enantiomers in human plasma and 7-hydroxywarfarin in human urine by chiral stationaryphase liquid chromatography with ultraviolet or fluorescence and online circular dichroism detection.J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci. Appl. 1997; 701: 71-80
- Chiral phase analysis of warfarin enantiomers in patient plasma in relation to CYP2C9 genotype.J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 1998; 710: 143-148
- Influence of CYP2C9 and CYP2C19 genetic polymorphisms on warfarin maintenance dose and metabolic clearance.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2002; 72: 702-710
- Warfarin metabolism and antico- agulant effect: A prospective, observational study of the impact of CYP2C9 genetic polymorphism in the presence of drug-disease and drug-drug interactions.Clin Ther. 2007; 29: 427-437
- Norton, York, NY1991 Statistics. 2nd ed.
- Interactions between folate metabolism, phenytoin metabolism, and liver microsomal cytochrome P450.Drug Nutr Interact. 1984; 3: 21-32
- The effect of folate supplementation on human CYP2C9 transactivation.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 79: P15
- Species differences between mouse, rat, dog, monkey and human CYP-mediated drug metabolism, inhibition and induction.Expert Opin DrugMetabToxicol. 2006; 2: 875-894
- Effect of folate oversupplementation on folate uptake by human intestinal and renal epithelial cells.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86: 159-166
- Folic acid supplementation and cell kinetics of rectal mucosa in patients with ulcerative colitis.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1997; 6: 469-471
- Effect of folate supplementation on mucosal cell proliferation in high risk patients for colon cancer.Gut. 2002; 51: 195-199
- The top 200 generic drugs in 2003 (by units).Drug Topics. 2004; 148: 76
- American Heart Association/ American College of Cardiology Foundation guide to warfarin therapy.Circulation. 2003; 107: 1692-1711
- Managing oral anticoagulant therapy.Chest. 2001; 119: 22S-38S
- Anticoagulant-related bleeding: Clinical epidemiology, prediction, and prevention.Am J Med. 1993; 95: 315-328
- Risk factors for complications of chronic anticoagulation. A multicenter study.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 511-520
- CYP2C9 Genotype-guided warfarin prescribing enhances the efficacy and safety of anticoagulation: A prospective randomized controlled study.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 83: 460-470
Accepted: November 23, 2009
© 2010 Published by Elsevier Inc.