Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
- Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: XXV. Evidence-based medicine: Principles for applying the Users' Guides to patient care.JAMA. 2000; 284: 1290-1296
- McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2008 Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice. 2nd ed.
- PSG Publishing, Littleton, MA1985 Fundamentals of Clinical Trials. 2nd ed.
- A checklist for medication compliance and persistence studies using retrospective databases.Value Health. 2007; 10: 3-12
National Cancer Institute. Theory at a Glance: A Guide for Health Promotion Practice [National Cancer Institute Web site].
- http://www.cancer.gov/aboutnci/oc/theoryat-a-glance(Accessed)Date: August 10, 2008
- Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2002 Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 3rd ed.
- Predicting medication adherence in severe mental disorders.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2000; 101: 119-124
- Using Health Belief Models to understand the efficacy-effectiveness gap for mood stabilizer treatments.Neuropsychobiology. 2002; 46: 13-15
- Adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-positive children: Examination of the role of caregiver health beliefs.AIDS Care. 2001; 13: 617-629
- Open University Press, Buckingham, UK2000 Health Psychology: A Textbook. 2nd ed.
- The theory of decision making.Psychol Bull. 1954; 51: 380-417
- A social cognitive model for health education/health promotion practice.J Adv Nurs. 2001; 36: 417-425
- In search of how people change. Applications to addictive behaviors.Am Psychol. 1992; 47: 1102-1114
Family Health International (FHI). Behavior Change—A Summary of Four Major theories.
- http://www.fhi.org/nr/rdonlyres/ei26vbslpsidmahhxc332vwo3g233xsgw22er3vofgvrfjvubwyzclvgjcbdgexyzl3msu4mn6xv5j/bccsummaryfourmajortheories.pdf(Accessed)Date: November 29, 2008
- Intervention-related cognitive versus social mediators of exercise adherence in the elderly.Am J Prev Med. 2002; 23: 80-86
- A social cognitive approach.in: Conner M Norman P Predicting Health Behaviour. Open University Press, New York, NY2005: 170-222
- Freeman, New York, NY1997 Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control.
- Medication compliance and persistence: Terminology and definitions.Value Health. 2008; 11: 44-47
- Merck Frosst Pharmaceutical, Montreal, Quebec, Canada1997 Merck Frosst Pharmaceutical Report for the British Pharmaceutical Society on Medication Compliance.
- A critical review of the “determinants” of patient compliance with therapeutic regimens.in: Sackett DL Haynes RB Compliance with Therapeutic Regimens. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD1976: 11-22
- Burke LE Ockene IS Compliance in Healthcare and Research. Futura Publishing Co, Inc, Armonk, NY2001
- Patient adherence to treatment: Three decades of research. A comprehensive review.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2001; 26: 331-342
- “Abandoned prescriptions”: A quantitative assessment of their cause.J Managed Care Pharm. 1995; 1: 193-199
- A comprehensive management system for heart failure improves clinical outcomes and reduces medical resource utilization.Am J Cardiol. 1997; 79: 58-63
- Depression is a risk factor for noncompliance with medical treat ment: Meta-analysis of the effects of anxiety and depression on patient adherence.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 2101-2107
- Interventions to enhance patient adherence to medication pre scriptions: Scientific review [published correction appears in JAMA. 2003;289:3242].JAMA. 2002; 288: 2868-2879
- Patient adherence and medical treatment out comes: A meta-analysis.Med Care. 2002; 40: 794-811
- Impact of medication nonadherence on coronary heart disease outcomes. A critical review.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 1921-1929
- Special Report: Interventions to improve patient adherence with medications for chronic cardiovascular disorders.TEC Bull (Online). 2003; 20: 30-32
- A meta-analysis of the association between adherence to drug therapy and mortality.BMJ. 2006; 333: 15
- Cost-effectiveness of adherence-enhancing interventions: A quality assessment of the evidence.Ann Pharmacother. 2005; 39: 508-515
- Guyatt G Rennie D Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice. AMA Press, Chicago, IL2002
- Pharmaceutical care research and education project: Patient outcomes.J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash). 2001; 41: 411-420
- Effect of intervention through a pharmaceutical care program on patient adherence with prescribed once-daily atorvastatin.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2006; 15: 115-121
- Consequences of intermittent treatment for hypertension: The case for medication compliance and persistence.Am J Manag Care. 1998; 4: 1563-1568
- Pilot study to determine the impact of a multidisciplinary educational intervention in patients hospitalized with heart failure.Am Heart J. 2005; 150: 982
CONSORT Group. The CONSORT Statement.
- http://www.consortstatement.org/(Accessed)Date: November 29, 2008
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2006 Clinical Epidemiology: How to Do Clinical Practice Research. 3rd ed.
- Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK2002 Analysis of Longitudinal Data. 2nd ed.
- The CONSORT statement: Revised recommendations for improving the quality of reports of parallel-group randomized trials.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 134: 657-662
- The revised CONSORT statement for reporting randomized trials: Explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 134: 663-694
- Decker, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada2008 Biostatistics: The Bare Essentials. 3rd ed.
- Interventions to enhance medication adherence.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 4 (CD000011. Update in: Cochrane Database System Rev. 2008;CD000011)
- BMJ Books, London, UK1998 Randomised Controlled Trials: A User's Guide.
- McGrawHill, New York, NY2006 Interpreting the Medical Literature.
- Effect of general practitioner education on adherence to antihypertensive drugs: Cluster randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2007; 335: 1030
- Arnold, London, UK2000 Design and Analysis of Cluster Randomization Trials in Health Research.
- Cambridge University Press, New York, NY2004 Essential Evidence-Based Medicine.
- Pitfalls ofand controversies in cluster randomization trials.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 416-422
- Polypharmacy and medication adherence in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 1408-1412
- Intraclass correlation coefficients for cluster randomized trials in primary care: Data from the MRC Trial of the Assessment and Management of Older People in the Community.Control Clin Trials. 2002; 23: 409-421
- Intraclass correlation values for planning group randomized trials in education.Educ Eval Policy Anal. 2007; 29: 60-87
- R. McNally, Chicago, IL1966 Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Research.
- A quasiexperimental study on a community-based stroke prevention programme for clients with minor stroke.J Clin Nurs. 2007; 16: 272-281
- Metabolic control of adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus through education and counseling.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2006; 38: 344-351
- High level of medication compliance and blood pressure control among hypertensive patients attending community pharmacies.J Soc Admin Pharm. 1990; 7: 78-83
- Compliance characteristics of 291 hypertensive patients from a rural midwest area.J Fam Pract. 1983; 17: 619-625
- Observational research methods. Research design II: Cohort, cross sectional, and case-control studies.Emerg Med J. 2003; 20: 54-60
- Organizational approaches to improve compliance.in: Burke LE Okene IS Compliance in Healthcare and Research. Futura Publishing Co, Armonk, NY2001: 81-90
- Adherence to medication.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 487-497
- Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK1995 Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use. 2nd ed.
- Interventions for enhancing medication adherence.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; (CD000011)
- Patient compliance with drug treatment—new perspectives on an old problem.Clin Investig. 1992; 70: 163-166
- The assessment of refill compliance using pharmacy records: Methods, validity, and applications.J Clin Epidemiol. 1997; 150: 105-116
- Relationship between medication compliance and medical outcomes.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 1995; 52: S27-S29
Aardex. The Measurement.
- http://www.aardexgroup.com/aardex_index.php?group=aardex(Accessed)Date: February 9, 2009
- Methodological and conceptual issues in adherence.in: Myers LB Midence K Adherence to Treatment in Medical Conditions. Harwood Academic, Amsterdam, The Netherlands1998: 1-24
- Use of the Medication Event Monitoring System to estimate medication compliance in patients with schizophrenia.J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2001; 26: 325-329
- Adherence to prescribed antihypertensive drug treatments: Longitudinal study of electronically compiled dosing histories.BMJ. 2008; 336: 1114-1117
- The effect of microelectronic observation on compliance.Epilepsia. 1990; 31 (Abstract): 617-618
- Adherence to oral tamoxifen: A comparison of patient self-report, pill counts, and microelectronic monitoring.J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11: 1189-1197
- Critical comparison of novel and existing methods of compliance assessment during a clinical trial of an oral iron chelator.J Clin Pharmacol. 1994; 34: 944-949
- Electronic compliance monitoring in resistant hypertension: The basis for rational therapeutic decisions.J Hypertens. 2001; 19: 335-341
- The odds of the three nons when an aptly prescribed medicine isn't working: Non-compliance, non-absorption, non-response.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2002; 54: 212-220
- Burke LE Ockene IS Compliance in Healthcare and Research. Futura Publishing Company, Armonk, NY2001
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2008 Modern Epidemiology. 3rd ed.
- Dept of Mathematics & Statistics, Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada2005 Biostatistics Part II Data Analysis and Methods: A Workbook Approach.
- Blackwell Scientific Publications, Boston, MA1992 Statistical First Aid: Interpretation of Health Research Data.
- Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL1998 Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis.
- Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada2006 Metric Development for Medication Compliance Using a Distribution Approach [master's thesis].
Statistics Department of the University of Auckland. The R Project for Statistical Computing 2007 [R Project Web site].
- http://www.r-project.org/(Accessed)Date: November 29, 2008
- M Dekker, New York, NY1992 Nonparametric Statistical Inference. 3rd ed.
- Delay in filling the initial prescription for a statin: A potential early indicator of medication nonpersistence.Clin Ther. 2008; 30: 761-774
- Models for longitudinal data: A generalized estimating equation approach [published correction appears in Biometrics. 1989;45:347].Biometrics. 1988; 44: 1049-1060
- Compliance in an anti-hypertension trial: A latent process model for binary lon gitudinal data.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 357-370
- A Markov mixed effect regression model for drug compliance.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 2313-2333
- Chapman & Hall, London, UK; New York, NY1994 Modelling Survival Data in Medical Research. 1st ed.
- Springer, New York, NY2001 Permutation Methods: A Distance Function Approach.
- When drugs don't work: Economic assessment of enhancing compliance with interventions supported by electronic monitoring devices.PharmacoEconomics. 2007; 25: 621-635
- Good research practices for cost-effectiveness analysis alongside clinical trials: The ISPOR RCT-CEA Task Force report.Value Health. 2005; 8: 521-533
- Methods for integrating medication compliance and persistence in pharmacoeconomic evaluations.Value Health. 2007; 10: 498-509
- EQ-5D: A measure of health status from the EuroQol Group.Ann Med. 2001; 33: 337-343
The EuroQol Group. What is EQ5D? EQ-5D is standardised instrument for use as a measure of health outcome [EuroQol Group Web site].
- http://www.eurogol.org/(Accessed)Date: November 29, 2008
- Kind P Brooks R Rabin R EQ-5D Concepts and Methods: A Developmental History. Springer, Dordecht, The Netherlands2005
- The Health Utilities Index (HUI®): Concepts, measurement properties and applications.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2008; 1 (Accessed): 1-54http://www.hglo.com/content/1/1/54Date: November 29, 2008
- Impact of medication adherence on hospitalization risk and healthcare cost.Med Care. 2005; 43: 521-530