This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The recurrence rate of gastric ulcers healing to a white scar is low, whereas that of ulcers healing to a red scar is high. Teprenone is a mucosal protective agent that can promote epithelial regeneration by increasing the mucosal hexosamine content. It promotes white scar formation when administered as maintenance therapy for ulcers. A nationwide, multicenter study was performed to determine whether white scar formation was also promoted when teprenone was used during initial therapy. Analysis of the data from 1249 patients showed that teprenone significantly promoted white scar formation. The presence of severe ulcers (large size and active stage), ulcer location at the gastric angulus, and smoking retarded white scar formation irrespective of the use of teprenone.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical failure with cimetidine.Surgery. 1980; 88: 417-424
- Gastroduodenal ulcer: Clinical observation on cure rate, relapse rate, and possible malignant change.Gastroenterol Jpn. 1971; 6: 123-132
- Effect of treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection on the long-term recurrence of gastric and duodenal ulcer.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 116: 705-708
- Effect of ranitidine and amoxicillin plus metronidazole on the eradication of Helicobacter pylori and recurrence of duodenal ulcer.NEJM. 1993; 328: 308-312
- Clinical significance of Helicobacter pylori.Endosc Forum Dig Dis. 1993; 9: 22-30
- Gastric ulcer relapse.Dig Endosc. 1994; 6: 219-223
- Endoscopic evaluation of the effect of sucralfate therapy and other clinical parameters on the recurrence rate of gastric ulcers.Dig Dis Sci. 1980; 25: 1-7
- Genranylgeranylacetone, a novel anti-ulcer drug, stimulates mucus synthesis and secretion in rat gastric cultured cells.Digestion. 1986; 33: 206-210
- Protective action of tetraprenylacetone against ethanol-induced damage in rat gastric mucosa.Digestion. 1986; 35: 182-188
- Changes in gastric content of adenosine, xanthine and hypoxanthine induced by restrained water immersion stress: Antiulcer effects of tetraprenylacetone.Digestion. 1991; 48: 25-33
- Endoscopic findings of the gastric mucosa after healing of gastric ulcers—a multicenter study in Niigata Prefecture.Jpn J Clin Exp Med. 1988; 65: 3678-3683
- Assessment of gastric ulcer healing: From the viewpoint of pathology.Stomach Intest. 1984; 19: 993-999
- Effects of teprenone on gastric ulcer.Diagn Treat. 1988; 187: 3015-3028
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.