This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a 12-week controlled clinical study of the effects of two nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug regimens on serum lipoproteins in patients with osteoarthritis, 54 patients were treated with naproxen, 500 mg twice daily, and 45 patients were treated with nabumetone, 1000 mg once daily. In patients who received naproxen, the mean levels of total serum cholesterol decreased by 18.3 mg/dL (7.0%) from baseline to 12 weeks, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol remained unchanged, and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol decreased by 15.4 mg/dL (8.7%). In patients who received nabumetone, mean levels of total serum cholesterol increased 10.4 mg/dL (4.0%), HDL cholesterol remained unchanged, and LDL cholesterol increased 7.2 mg/dL (4.1%). Furthermore, serum triglyceride levels tended to increase in nabumetone-treated patients and decrease in naproxen-treated patients, with a statistically significant (P < 0.05) difference between treatments. The decreases in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels in patients receiving naproxen were statistically significant (P < 0.01). These results confirm previous findings on naproxen's cholesterol-lowering effect.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Metabolic effects of salicylate in man.Metabolism. 1959; 8: 205-213
- The effect of salicylate on the serum lipids and lipoproteins in coronary artery disease.Clin Sci. 1959; 18: 195-203
- Salicylates and thyroid function. 1. Depression of thyroid function.J Clin Invest. 1958; 37: 1131-1143
- The effect of naproxen on serum cholesterol.6th EULAR Symposium. 16191990; (Poster presented at the) (Athens, Greece)
- Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program Expert Panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults.Arch Intern Med. 1988; 148: 36-69
- Detection and Management of Asymptomatic Hypercholesterolemia. A Policy Document by the Toronto Working Group on Cholesterol Policy. Ontario Ministry of Health, Toronto1989
- Where to draw the line against cholesterol.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 111: 625-626
- Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol.Clin Chem. 1974; 20: 470-475
- Determination of glucose oxidase with an alternative oxygen acceptor.Ann Clin Biochem. 1969; 6: 24-27
- Dri-Stat Reagent Cholesterol-ES™. Beckman Instruments, Inc, Brea, Calif1987 (Manual, instructions 015-245444-C)
- Rapid method for the isolation of lipoproteins from human serum by precipitation with polyanions.Lipid Res. 1970; 11: 583-595
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultra-centrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-508
- Nonparametrics: Statistical Methods Based on Ranks. Holden-Day, Oakland, Calif1975: 132-141
- Computing and expressing degree of fatness.JAMA. 1980; 243: 1421-1422
- Interference by analgesic and anti-rheumatic drugs in 25 common laboratory assays.J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1985; 23: 287-292
- Dyslipoproteinaemia in patients with active, chronic polyarthritis. A study on serum lipoproteins and triglyceride clearance (intravenous fat tolerance test).Atherosclerosis. 1977; 28: 41-52
- Serum cholesterol in rheumatic diseases.BMJ. 1963; 25: 1380-1383
- About the cholesterol level in blood serum of patients with scarlet fever.Z Kinderheilk. 1920; 25 (In German): 129-133
- Serum cholesterol diet, and coronary heart disease—an interracial survey in the Cape Peninsula.Lancet. 1955; 2 (In German): 1103-1108
- The effect of O-acetyl-salicylic acid on lipid synthesis by guinea pig gastric mucosa in vitro.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1987; 22: 1223-1230
- Physicians' Desk Reference®. Medical Economics Data Production Company, Montvale, NJ1994: 2275-2277 48th ed.
- Comparison of gemfibrozil and lovastatin in patients with high low-density lipoprotein and low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels.Arch Intern Med. 1992; 152: 1781-1787
- Comparison between lovastatin and cholestyramine in the treatment of moderate to severe primary hypercholesterolaemia.Ann Med. 1992; 24: 121-127
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.